Lecturer in Pacific Studies
- Victoria University of Wellington
- New Zealand (NZ)
- NZD $80,000 - $95,000
- Posted Date
- Oct 11, 2022
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Education
- Employment Level
- Tenured/Tenured Track
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Do you have a deep commitment to Oceania and Pacific people?
- Have you got evidence of some successful teaching in a relevant field at tertiary level?
- Are you able to contribute to the development and delivery of core courses in Pacific Studies?
Mō Te Herenga Waka - About our university
Te Herenga Waka - Victoria University of Wellington is a global-civic university with our marae at our heart. This iho draws off our heritage and is further defined by our tūrangawaewae, in particular Wellington, Aotearoa, and the Asia-Pacific, all of which are expressed in our position as Aotearoa New Zealand's globally ranked capital city university.
Our core ethical values are respect, responsibility, fairness, integrity, and empathy. These core ethical values are demonstrated in our commitment to sustainability, wellbeing, inclusivity, equity, diversity, collegiality, and openness. With, and as, tangata whenua, we value Te Tiriti o Waitangi, rangatiratanga, manaakitanga, kaitiakitanga, whai mātauranga, whanaungatanga, and akoranga.
Kōrero mō te tūranga - About the role
Te Herenga Waka - Victoria University of Wellington is currently recruiting a permanent Lecturer (equivalent to tenured assistant professor) in Pacific Studies to join Va‘aomanū Pasifika - the programme in Pacific Studies and Samoan Studies in the School of Languages and Cultures. The appointed Lecturer will ideally commence at the start of February 2023.
- Contribute to the development and delivery of core courses in Pacific Studies, including PASI 101 The Pacific Heritage
- Develop new curricula in their areas of expertise
- Develop a high-quality research record consistent with the research strategy of the School and of the University
- Supervise BA Honours, MA and PhD research in Pacific Studies
- Contribute to Hautūtanga/leadership, administrative roles, and engagement with the wider community
Ō pūmanawa - About you
You will be a scholar-educator with a deep commitment to Oceania and Pacific people, trained in or conversant with the field of interdisciplinary Pacific Studies and dedicated to high-quality teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, who is developing an innovative independent research agenda.
- A completed PhD in a relevant field, or other relevant qualifications commensurate with the role
- A developing record of scholarly research and publication and a research agenda
- Demonstrated evidence of some successful teaching in a relevant field at tertiary level
- Demonstrated evidence of good oral and written communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work with students and staff from a diverse range of backgrounds
- Fluency in a Pacific language is desirable
Ētahi kōrero hai āwhina i a koe - Why you should join our team
Founded by the late Teresia Teaiwa in 2000, Pacific Studies at Te Herenga Waka - Victoria University of Wellington has a proud legacy of producing innovative scholars committed to Oceania its peoples and alive to possibilities for critically and creatively interrogating Pacific pasts and shaping Pacific futures. Our undergraduate programme is well-aligned and successful, while offering many opportunities for a new staff member to shape further growth and development. We have an excellent reputation within and beyond our institution, a track record of attracting and completing strong domestic and international doctoral students, and an alumni network that is vast, deep, and loyal.
Contact details for vacancy
If you have any questions regarding this role please get in touch with Dr April Henderson, Programme Director (April.Henderson@vuw.ac.nz). But applicants should follow all steps listed below.
Important - Application steps and information
Download and complete the university application form
Then, please combine your cover letter telling us why you're a great fit for this position, your CV, and the university application form into a single file (preferably in pdf format).
Click apply now button at the base of the advert Follow the process to enter your contact details and attach your combined file (cover letter, CV, and the University application form) using the 'CV/Resume' button.
If you have any issues uploading your application, please email the completed application form, cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org stating the reference number and position title from the advert in the subject line.
Applications close on Friday, 18 November 2022.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert