Research and Instruction Librarian
Reports to: Dean of Library Services
Position Type: Full-time, 12 months, Exempt
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
Bowman Library seeks a creative Research and Instruction Librarian in the social sciences, with an emphasis on business, psychology and information systems. The successful candidate will provide excellent instruction, research consultation, reference, outreach, collection development and assessment services to the Menlo College community.
Bowman Library is particularly interested in candidates who are engaged in and excited about innovative teaching methods, using new and emerging technologies and digital scholarship. The successful candidate will be broadly focused and collaborative, building partnerships with faculty, students and other library users.
In collaboration with other librarians, the Research and Instruction Librarian will participate in planning, creating, promoting, delivering and assessing information literacy curriculum geared toward digital natives in a residential college. This position will design digital learning objects for use in various teaching and learning mods.
As Bowman Library prepares to serve new graduate programs including a Masters Degree in Information Systems and a Masters Degree in Sport & Performance Psychology, the information literacy program will be adjusted to serve different levels of academic experience (lower division undergraduate, upper division, and graduate) as well as different teaching models (course-integrated, synchronous/asynchronous, flipped and traditional classroom models.)
● Designs and develops creative, engaging research skills and information literacy curriculum for undergraduate and graduate students
● Creates courses, modules, assessment rubrics, digital learning objects for a variety of teaching delivery modes (in person, hybrid online, synchronous/asynchronous, standalone/course-integrated)
● Provides virtual and in-person research consultation and reference service
● Provides orientations to the library; promotes and advocates for the library and its services
● Develops and assesses collections in business, and other disciplines based on a candidate’s interests and qualifications
● Contributes to the profession and to Menlo College through scholarship and creative work and service
● Other duties as assigned
Occasional evening hours may be required.
Remote work is possible one day per week.
● Master's degree in Library and Information Science from a program accredited by the American Libraries Association, or equivalent
● Experience developing curriculum, defining learning objectives, and measuring outcomes; experience designing and delivering creative, engaging courses, digital learning objects, and online instruction modules
● Reference experience and ability to use, select and assess resources in the social sciences, particularly for business and information systems programs
● Knowledge of and ability to apply the Association of College and Research Libraries’ frameworks for information literacy in instructional design; knowledge of WASCUC and AACSB expectations for information literacy in higher education
● Experience with and continuing interest in library and instructional technologies (e.g. Springshare LibGuides, WMS Library Management System, Canvas Learning Management System) and use of digital media in education (e.g. screencasting, social media, usability, adaptive learning, microlearning)
● Knowledge of general principles of library organization and management
● Evidence of continued professional development in relevant areas
About Bowman Library
Bowman Library provides collections and services to inspire, engage and advance teaching, learning and research at Menlo College. The Library supports undergraduate programs in psychology and business, including entrepreneurship, analytics, finance, accounting, marketing, management, real estate, and sports management. The library is currently planning to support proposed graduate programs in information systems and sports and performance psychology. Instructional support includes course-integrated research sessions, individual consultations and mentoring, and an asynchronous information literacy module required of all undergraduate students.
Located in the heart of the campus, the library is beloved by its students and faculty and fosters a positive learning environment. A learning commons, reservable quiet and group study rooms, comfortable seating areas, study carrels and student-run late night hours all contribute to a sense of community and place for students throughout their Menlo College experience.
About Menlo College
Menlo College’s mission is to: “...ignite potential and educate students to make meaningful contributions in the innovation economy.” We attract students from all over the world who are committed to learning, playing intercollegiate sports, starting and leading organizations, and making an impact in their communities.
For the 12th straight year, Menlo College was named to The Princeton Review “2021 Best Colleges,” a recognition given to only 12% of all colleges and universities in the U.S. In 2020, Menlo College was also ranked #11 in Money for Best U.S. Business Colleges. Menlo College is designated as both a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) and an Asian American Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI). Many students are first generation college students in their families.
Our campus is located 30 miles south of San Francisco, in Silicon Valley – one of the world’s most entrepreneurial and innovative locations. Silicon Valley is renowned as an innovation incubator with exceptional opportunities for experience-based learning.
Menlo College offers generous retirement, health and wellbeing benefits. Benefits include tuition remission for self, partial tuition remission for children and spouse, free access to athletic facilities and free lunch during the academic year.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the College visit: Benefits of Belonging
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, a current resume and contact information for 3 references. The position is open until filled, with first review October 31.
Attn: Director of Human Resources
1000 El Camino Real, Atherton, CA 94027-4301
or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Menlo College is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. All prospective Menlo College employees are required to satisfy a background check, as well as clearance annually for the operation of a motor vehicle on behalf of Menlo College. As we are an in-person campus, we require proof of full vaccination and a booster or approved exemptions for COVID-19