Lake Superior State University invites applications for a new open position as the university’s Controller. Reporting directly to the Director of Finance at LSSU, the Controller serves with a well-qualified team in LSSU’s business office to fill a vital leadership role in coordinating university accounting operations and reporting functions.
LSSU is seeking a team-oriented and detail-focused individual to ensure that all financial activity of the university is recorded and is substantially correct. We seek an enthusiastic and motivated individual to embrace this tremendous opportunity to work within a team that will help lead the university as it carries out the institution’s strategic plan. This individual will direct certain accounting operations of the university, including the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls designed to mitigate risk and enhance the accuracy of the university's reported financial results. They will also advise senior management when needed and assist with administrative tasks for Business Operations. Specifically, LSSU seeks someone with these skills and qualifications:
- Ability to professionally prepare financial and analytical reports for business data analysis, periodic reports and monthly and/or annual financial reports;
- Ability to analyze and reconcile accounts and correct as needed;
- Ability to prepare and provide records of financial activities to authorized individuals who administer activities, departments, schools, or grants;
- Ability to prepare various financial reports and tax documents required by Federal, State, and private agencies or the university and submit them on a timely basis;
- Ability to follow university financial policies and procedures; Ability to implement appropriate changes in accounting policies, procedures, and processes to reflect changes in the regulations, policies and procedures of the various professional bodies that impact the operations of the university business;
- Ability to oversee maintenance and updates to the software packages used by the university (Banner);
- Ability to manage the accounting staff (AR, AP, Accountants), ensuring that all financial functions are performed, and reports are issued in a timely and complete manner;
- Ability to develop, direct, and manage a wide range of accounting functions for Business Operations.
Lake Superior State University is located in Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan, bordering Canada and surrounded by three Great Lakes. With four seasons, it is a prime location for any outdoor enthusiast, surrounded by the rich natural resources of Northern Michigan. The Senior Accountant will join an innovative and dynamic team led by the Vice President for Finance and Operations, working through a strategy that builds on strong enrollments across colleges and programs, a regional and global footprint, and a solid financial position. The Senior Accountant will be joining the university in a time of solid financial position and exciting programmatic growth in line with our strategic plan.
- Bachelor’s degree-major in accounting Five or more years of experience in accounting work Three or more years of supervisory experience Working knowledge of governmental fund accounting and relational database structure related to accounting and reporting systems
- Master’s degree in accounting or CPA Working knowledge of Banner Finance
Competitive Salary and Excellent Benefits package: Retirement contribution of 10%, Health- Dental- Vision- RX Insurance, Life & Long Term Disability, Generous Sick & Vacation leave, 11 paid Holidays, Flexible Spending Accounts, Tuition Waiver, Dependent Tuition discount, Basic membership to Norris Center, and Free Admission to University Sponsored Athletics & Cultural Events. Allowance for relocation expenses.