ECE Alumni Relations Manager
- Virginia Tech
- Virginia, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Oct 6, 2022
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Communications, Public Relations & Advertising, Administrative, Business & Administrative Affairs, Other Business & Administrative Affairs, Community Relations & Institutional Outreach, Public Relations & Marketing (Campus), Alumni Affairs
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Reporting to the Head of the Bradley Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering or designate and the Director of Alumni Relations for the College of Engineering, the Alumni Relations Manager will plan, execute, and evaluate a variety of engagement programs and initiatives on behalf of the department that strategically align with the broader advancement (development, alumni relations, communications) and recruitment goals of the college and university. The manager will develop an annual work plan in consultation with the two supervisors and is evaluated against the success of that plan.
The Bradley Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering has 1,800 students, 125 faculty members, and a research portfolio of more than $28 million annually. It is the fourth largest electrical and computer engineering department in the nation. Each year it graduates 500 new alumni and currently has 15,195 alumni.
The Alumni Relations Manager must have a strong background in project management and/or event management delivering programming to multiple audiences. Skill sets necessary may include writing for a variety of platforms and occasions, professionally
interacting with partners across campus and external audiences, strong communication skills, and strong computer skills working with writing, design, and database software.
The manager should have excellent organizational skills, creativity, flexibility, self-motivation, and attention to detail. The manager should also be able to navigate multiple and competing priorities in a dynamic environment. This individual is a member of the college’s alumni relations team and the department head’s leadership team.
The Alumni Relations Manager develops, coordinates, promotes, maintains, and evaluates alumni and donor events and programs. Specific work responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, conceptualizing, planning and executing engagement programs and events for alumni, students, and other external audiences; providing stewardship for departmental donors; serving as writer and producer of email communications and e-newsletters for alumni and external audiences; participating in student and faculty recruitment activities; communicating professionally with multiple internal and external audiences; working with a confidential data management software.
Working within the advancement model, this individual’s efforts must be strategically aligned to support the goals and priorities of the department, college, and broader university. The Alumni Relations Manager must follow established brand guidelines, university policies and procedures, and accessibility standards.
● Bachelor’s degree in related field with appropriate experience in marketing, communications, or related field
● Experience working with project management and/or event planning in a professional setting.
● Experience meeting deadlines and navigating multiple projects simultaneously.
● Strong organizational/interpersonal skills and the ability to thrive in a team setting.
● Strong written communication skills speaking to multiple audiences.
● Demonstrated computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite and data management system.
● Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends
● Willing to travel to/from Washington, DC metro area and Blacksburg, VA on a monthly basis, as well as across the nation periodically as needed for events.
● Experience with developing, planning, and executing events for multiple audiences.
● Familiarity with graphic design and/or web/email design software.
● Experience in a higher education, independent school, or non-profit environment.
● Strong attention to detail.
Commensurate with Experience
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact K Atkins at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: October 6, 2022
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert