Kansas State University
Executive Director, Office of Recruitment and Admissions
Academic Career & Executive Search is pleased to assist Kansas State University in its search for Executive Director of the Office of Recruitment and Admissions.
For full consideration, application materials must be received by November 11, 2022.
This is a pivotal and exciting time at Kansas State University with a new president, a bold economic prosperity plan, a record year for research awards, a record fundraising year, the opening of a $1+ billion-dollar National Bio and Agro-defense facility, and the strongest state budget supporting higher education in a decade.
This unique opportunity to join an inspiring R1 institution as its next Executive Director of Recruitment and Admissions is ideal for a data-oriented and skilled relationship builder, leader and mentor. The Executive Director will be responsible for the development and execution of innovative strategic recruitment, admissions, and yield programs for undergraduate recruitment and admissions. This forward-thinking visionary will serve as a key leader in support of an integrated, multi-faceted and dynamic enrollment operation and an active partner on the enrollment management leadership team. The successful candidate will create a synergetic connection between all university-wide recruitment that leads to increased enrollment and retention of domestic and international undergraduate students.
The Executive Director will serve as the primary person to supervise the unit, oversee budget, and first person to review admission appeal decisions. This role is directly responsible for developing and implementing recruitment and admissions processing decisions. The Executive Director will identify best practices and coordinate with colleges to lead an increased enrollment of domestic and international undergraduate students.
- In partnership with key staff in the Office of Recruitment and Admissions, academic colleges and other units, the Executive Director for Recruitment and Admissions develops, implements and evaluates a comprehensive, data-driven strategic recruitment plan that will achieve the university’s desire to recruit, select, admit and enroll an increasing number of well-qualified and diverse students locally, regionally, nationally and internationally.
- Creates, refines and implements an integrated recruitment and yield strategy for undergraduate students, including market assessment and segmentation, brand marketing and promotional strategies, focusing on recruitment and retention activities designed to meet enrollment goals.
- Expands the university’s capacity to recruit diverse and under-represented student populations, by adjusting recruitment strategies with an equity lens, investigating appropriate forums for engaging communities that represent those populations, and adjusting prospect-to-enrollment services to support in ways that are culturally appropriate.
- Plans and supervises recruitment and application processing operations including marketing/target analysis; prospect-enrollment pipeline development; application review and follow-up; high school/community college outreach; on and off-campus recruitment events; student ambassador programs and campus visit and orientation programs; and development of print and electronic admission materials, tele counseling, web content and social media.
- Establishes and assesses recruitment and admissions strategies by evaluating trends; establishing critical measurements; determining production, productivity, quality, and customer-service strategies; designing systems; accumulating resources; resolving problems; implementing change. Utilize current trends, best practices and previous experience, employing a data informed approach in all aspects of admissions and recruitment to meet enrollment goals.
- Oversee a multi-faceted communication flow and scoring processes in the university’s CRM in collaboration with university stakeholders.
Collaboration and Communication with Internal and External Partners
- Serves as a critical advisor to the Vice Provost for Enrollment Management and other University leadership on admissions best practices, systems, and data.
- Serves as a campus resource for recruitment, admissions, orientation, and enrollment, establishing relationships with key partners in all areas including Student Life, Student Success, Alumni, Marketing and Communication and academic units.
- Serves as a member of the Vice Provost for Enrollment Management Leadership Team and on other University-wide teams and committees.
- Cultivates strong partnerships with local organizations and the State of Kansas to enhance current pipelines and develop new pipelines.
- Provides consultative support to the deans of the colleges to address their unique needs; serves as a collaborative and consultative partner to advance the enrollment goals of the colleges and individual programs including providing updates and training on admissions, marketing, and recruitment to university staff, faculty, and administration.
- Promotes the university nationwide by making presentations and speeches at alumni meetings, high school conferences, and counselor events throughout the United States.
Managing and Development of Unit
- Provides effective budget management and oversees fiscal operations by establishing cost controls and spending plans for multiple large budgets.
- Develops a competent, productive and effective staff by hiring and supervising, directly and through delegation, the administrative, professional, student and clerical support personnel.
- Nurtures staff development through professional development opportunities and mentoring, sets staff performance objectives through annual goals, evaluates outcomes and maintains accountability for assigned areas.
- Effectively manages teams to build upon the strengths of individuals, develops strategies to overcome deficiencies and sets clear expectations.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Integrates a deep commitment to inclusive excellence into every aspect of the unit’s work.
Data and Technology
- Remains aware of current and emerging recruitment practice and demonstrates innovation in practice and knowledge of cutting-edge technologies in the enrollment arena and data reporting; leads the office via data-informed decisions to achieve recruitment goals.
- Provides regular reports, data analyses and evaluation tools to the Vice Provost, the colleges, and other designated persons/units on campus.
This position reports to the Vice Provost of Enrollment Management.
- Master’s Degree and Seven (7) years of relevant experience, to include: experience managing a full-time professional team with the ability to supervise, train, motivate, and mentor staff in a high performing organization; and experience in budget development and fiscal management with demonstrated ability to grow revenue streams.
- Doctorate degree in relevant field.
- Experience managing a full-time professional team with the ability to supervise, train, motivate, and mentor staff in high-performing organizations.
- Experience in budget development and fiscal management with demonstrated ability to grow revenue streams.
- Aptitude for creative, inspiring, and accomplished leadership with the highest level of commitment to advancing the organization’s goals.
- Proven ability in growing and sustaining racial, ethnic, and economic diversity in a student body and a deep understanding of the value of a diverse community.
- Success in evaluating and improving the practices of the student enrollment experience, including timely, effective, and positive engagement with students and families throughout their experiences with admissions.
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to digest and apply relevant research and data, leveraging analytics and technological tools.
- Sound judgment in making decisions and recommendations with the highest levels of integrity, fairness, and ethical standards.
- Demonstrated success in strengthening applicant pools and admitted student enrollment through proactive marketing and recruitment efforts.
- Superior communication and listening skills with the ability to make connections, earn trust, and foster collaboration to engage in collective action in a complex, decentralized environment.
- Proficiency utilizing electronic technology to include Microsoft Office suite programs, constituent relationship management (CRM) and content management systems.
- Eagerness to engage in meaningful discourse about enrollment priorities and trade-offs.
- A supervisory record that demonstrates strengths in recruiting top talent and mentoring and leading high performing teams
About the Institution
Kansas State University educates nearly 22,000 of tomorrow’s potential leaders and provides some of the best global food systems and biosecurity research in the world. The university is progressing toward its goal of becoming a Top 50 public research university by 2025.
The university has nine academic colleges and offers more than 250 majors and options. The Graduate School offers 73 master’s degrees, 44 doctoral degrees and 43 graduate certificates in multiple disciplines. The Princeton Review recognizes the university as one of the nation’s best colleges and the association of Public and Land-grant Universities designated Kansas State University as an Innovation and Economic Prosperity University.
Commonly referred to as K-State, the university is proud of its welcoming environment and considers all K-Staters family. Our athletic teams, known as the Wildcats, compete in the Big 12 Conference and frequently win titles and championships.
For more information about the university please visit https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/careers/executive-profile/.
Diversity and Inclusion
Kansas State University has a long, storied history of embracing diversity and inclusion as a core component of their educational mission. As the nation’s first operational land-grant, K-State has always admitted students without regard to race, gender, or creed. Their commitment to meeting the needs and interests of a diverse student body and preparing all constituents for meaningful engagement in an ever changing, diverse world is unwavering. They believe that diversity adds value to the educational fabric of their institution and students are encouraged to capitalize on the learning opportunities that differences can create.
To learn more information about diversity and inclusion at K-State, please visit https://www.k-state.edu/diversity-inclusion
Situated in the heart of northeast Kansas’ scenic Flint Hills, Manhattan’s 56,000 citizens enjoy a dynamic community with shopping, dining, entertainment, and nightlife. Manhattan is affectionately known as the “Little Apple,” a nod to its East Coast namesake, but has a vibrant culture all its own. Here is just a sampling of what residents look forward to year-round:
- Shopping, dining, and socializing in Aggieville, a local entertainment district with a fun, energetic vibe.
- A vibrant, revitalized downtown area with fine dining options and local boutiques.
- The Flint Hills Discovery Center, featuring exhibits about the beautiful surrounding region.
- Beautiful outdoor life at Sunset Zoo and The Gardens at Kansas State University.
- Recreation opportunities at the Konza Prairie, Tuttle Creek State Park, Linear Park Trail and more.
- The university’s McCain Performance Series, which hosts acclaimed Broadway musicals, comedians, musicians, and other entertainers.
- Exciting Big 12 athletic events (faculty and staff are eligible for discounted tickets).
- Colbert Hills Golf Course, ranked as the top public golf course in Kansas.
- Excellent K-12 education. The local high school ranks among the top 5 percent of U.S. high schools, and the district is home to several Kansas Master Teachers.
Learn more about the Manhattan community, at manhattan.org.
For full consideration, application materials must be received by November 11, 2022.
Please do not email applications. To be viewed by the search firm, you must apply directly at: https://acesrch.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a21esjylr5f8
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and should include a cover letter and curriculum vita. Ideally cover letters should not exceed two pages. All applications are treated confidentially.
Inquiries, referrals, and nominations are treated confidentially:
Inquiries and questions: Please send to KSUExecutiveDirectorORA@acesrch.com
Nominations and referrals: Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org
Institution’s EEO Statement
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Background Screening Statement
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.