University of Idaho
Area Extension Educator - Risk Management
Col of Agricultural & Life
Commensurate with Experience
The University of Idaho, Agricultural Economics & Rural
Sociology department, is seeking to hire an Assistant Professor,
Area Extension Educator in Risk Management. The Area Extension
Educator will coordinate and manage extension education related to
farmer, processor or industry risk management tools and needs, and
marketing of agricultural and food products.
In addition, the Area Extension Educator will serve the important
need of developing new (or updated) Cost and Returns (CAR)
estimates for alternative crop and livestock agricultural
enterprises or management systems, in coordination with the other
AERS Area Extension Educator. These reports are both broad and
extensive, and in high demand from producers, commissions,
appraisers, financial institutions, and others. The Area Extension
Educator will be responsible for collecting, analyzing, and
summarizing data for publication to revise existing and create new
They will prepare and conduct workshops and oral presentations to
stakeholders, be responsible for continuing education as to
implications of farm bill programs on optimal producer management
decisions, and coordinate county educators to achieve state-wide
education and training as necessary.
- An earned M.S. degree from an accredited institution in
Agricultural Economics, Economics or related degree is required by
date of hire.
- Demonstrated expertise in the economics and financial
management for agricultural enterprises
- Demonstrated knowledge of risk management, and/or cost and
returns analysis, and/or agricultural markets, and/or price
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
Required Licensures, Certifications or other
- Ability to organize effective Extension programs.
- Potential for or record of publications in extension
- Demonstrated knowledge of Pacific Northwest agricultural
markets, price analysis, futures and options markets.
- Experience working with agricultural producers and agribusiness
industries, through Extension or the private sector.
- Experience in analysis of cost and returns analysis for
agricultural crops and livestock production.
- Ability to design and conduct effective data collection
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working
relationship with people of various social, cultural, economic and
- Ability to work effectively as a team player.
- Willing and able to travel and adjust to a flexible schedule
(i.e. participate in evening and weekend programs).
Open Until Filled:
Applications received by November 11, 2022 will receive first
Along with your on-line application, write a letter of
qualification addressing how you meet the required and preferred
In addition, your application materials must include a CV, names
& contact information for at least three (3) professional
references, and unofficial transcripts.
For questions, please contact:Christopher S.
McIntoshAgricultural Economics and Rural
Applicants who are selected as final
possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background
To apply, please visit: jobs.uidaho.edu
University of Idaho is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative