**This is an on-site position. Remote workers will NOT be
St. Thomas University's Office of Financial Affairs is looking for
a Student Account Specialist to assist the Business Office in
providing high quality financial services through responsible
student account management and respectful customer
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Respond to general inquiries from students, staff, faculty and
others concerning Business Office policies and procedures.
- Assist with posting of payments received in person, online, via
ACH and Wire Transfers.
- Serve as back to University Cashier with closing and
reconciling process at end of each day and prepare daily bank
- Receive incoming calls in an efficient and courteous manner;
take accurate messages or assist callers with general
Assist as needed during registration periods. Assist with
collection of student receivables.
- Serve as backup for other Business Office functions which
include, but not limited to: Assist with invoicing of third party’s
(Florida Prepaid, Vocational Rehab, Dual Enrollment, Tuition
Reimbursements) Assist with student account refunds Assist with
1098-T process Assist with end of fiscal year closing Assist with
Perkins collections, payments, consolidations
- Participate in annual audit as needed;
Exercise confidentiality of student data and office information
Serve on University committees as requested;
- Comply with departmental and University safety rules and
Routine assignments are performed independently following
University and departmental policies and procedures. Overall
performance and quality of work are reviewed and monitored by
No staff supervisory responsibility, but, may oversee the work of
assigned work-study students.
- High School Diploma required, Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum of three years’ previous general office experience
demonstrating a thorough knowledge and proven proficiency with
office practices, procedures and equipment required.
- Prior cashiering, collections, and customer service experience
or related higher education experience preferred.
- Accurate data entry skills required; PC literacy (MS
- Knowledge of basic mathematics and mathematical
- Must be able to communicate effectively with students, vendors,
faculty and staff.
- Professional appearance and demeanor with attention to detail
and excellent customer service skills necessary.
- Bilingual ability (English/Spanish) is helpful in order to
communicate with a diverse population, but not required.
- Must be able to work under pressure and exercise tact when
dealing with difficult people on the telephone or in-person.
- Works regularly with confidential information that requires
utmost discretion and integrity.
- The physical requirements are within the normal bounds of an
- Requires willingness to work flexible hours as needed. Work
schedule is 9:00AM – 6:00PM, Monday – Thursday. Friday 9:00AM –
After 1 year of continuous full‐time service, employees are
eligible to enroll in STU’s bachelor and master courses,
. The program will cover a maximum timeframe of
125% of credit hours attempted toward the degree program. Employees
may enroll in STU’s doctoral program, with a 40% tuition discount,
under the same conditions.
St. Thomas University is a Catholic university sponsored by the
Archdiocese of Miami committed to academic and professional success
guided by its Catholic identity. All employees are therefore
expected to respect the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church and
support the University’s religious mission. All employees hereby
acknowledge their familiarity and support of the religious
affiliation, mission and values of St. Thomas University.
Equal Employment Opportunity
St. Thomas University is an equal opportunity employer that
promotes a diverse and inclusive organization. It is the policy of
the University to fill each vacancy with the candidate who
represents the best fit for the position and to promote and
transfer employees from within whenever possible and practical.
Employment decisions are made on the basis of the candidate’s
personal capabilities, qualifications, and ability to assist the
University in fulfilling its mission without discrimination. With
regard to the latter, the University’s program of recruiting
employees for mission aims to inform prospective employees of the
University’s mission and to help them and hiring personnel
determine how they will support and contribute to the University’s
St. Thomas University is an E-Verify® Employer. E-Verify is an
Internet-based system that allows an employer, using information
reported on an employee's Form I-9, Employment Eligibility
Verification, to determine the eligibility of that employee to work
in the United States. STU will utilize E-Verify® to verify
employment eligibility for all newly hired employees.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $40,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Miami Gardens, FL 33054: Reliably commute or planning to
relocate before starting work (Required)
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- General Office: 3 years (Required)
- Cashiering: 1 year (Required)
Work Location: One location