This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the
provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes
the employer to obtain criminal history record information.
Lecturer-Pool Faculty of World Languages and Cultures (ASL) -
up to 2 positions to be filled
Commensurate with education and experience.
Part-Time Non-Tenure Track
College of Humanities and Social Sciences
Dept of World Languages and Cultures
Refer Applicants To
Maria Barker, Ph.D.
Sam Houston State University
Department of World Languages & Cultures
Huntsville, TX 77341
Duties Performed in the Usual Course of the Job
The American Sign Language ( ASL ) program at Sam Houston State
University is seeking applications for an adjunct instructor to
teach American Sign Language courses at the introductory and
Lecturer-Pool faculty are term positions hired to teach one to four
courses per semester. Course requirements include teaching online,
or a combination of online teaching and on-campus classes at the
main campus in Huntsville, depending on the needs of the academic
department. Lecturer-Pool faculty hiring is based upon student
demand, on a semester-by-semester basis.
Educational Requirements for the Position
The primary requirement for the position is the completion of 18
graduate credit hours in American Sign Language (i.e., beyond the
Bachelor’s degree). The ideal candidate will also have prior
experience and a strong interest in teaching ASL at the university
Experience Required for the Position
Teaching experience preferred.
Other Requirements for the Position
This posting is for Spring 2023 semester.
Special Instructions Summary
Please note: References provided in the References section of
the application will receive an automated email reference request
at the time the application is submitted.
Open Until Filled
Sam Houston State University is an Equal Employment
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and Smoke/Drug-Free
Workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, creed, ancestry, marital status,
citizenship, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran
status, disability status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or gender
identity or expression. Sam Houston State University is an “at
will” employer. Employees with a contract will have additional
terms and conditions. Security sensitive positions at SHSU require
background checks in accordance with Education Code § 51.215.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn about this position?
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- HBCU Connect - Historically Black Colleges and
- HACU - Hispanic Association of Colleges & Universities
- The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education
- Association for Women in Science
- TWC - Work in Texas
- Inside Higher Ed
- Higher Ed Jobs
- HERC - Higher Education Recruitment Consortium
- SHSU Website
- SHSU Employee
- SHSU Recruiter
- If your response to the question above was 'Other' please
indicate from what source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please indicate your teaching availability.
- Face-to-Face Only
- Online Only
- Face-to-Face and Online
- * Are you available to teach during the day?
- * Are you available to teach during the evening?
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae (Faculty)
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Diversity & Inclusion Statement
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3