(Hybrid) Director of Data Integrity and Compliance - Health Affairs Institute
- West Virginia University
- West Virginia, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Oct 5, 2022
West Virginia University Health Science Center is currently accepting applications for (Hybrid) Director of Data Integrity and Compliance for Health Affairs Institute
About the Opportunity
West Virginia University’s (WVU) Health Affairs Institute is seeking candidates for a full-time hybrid Director of Data Integrity and Compliance. This position is responsible for leading the development of HAI’s vision for technologic innovation and translating that vision into strategic priorities and work plans. This position is responsible for developing and carrying out a process for assessing HAI's data management needs in consultation with HAI’s senior leadership, staff, clients, and WVU Health Science’s Center IT administration. This position will also ensure HAI’s compliance with HIPAA and other regulatory requirements related to data management and security.
This role will lead HAI’s data management processes and oversee policies and procedures to support evolving operational and legal requirements. The Director of Data Integrity and Compliance will apply expert-level knowledge in regulatory guidelines, security policies, and technologies to support the use of data for the purposes of program evaluation and research. A key function of the position is to assure compliance with state & federal law related to data privacy and strong knowledge of the HIPAA Privacy Rule is required. Another key function is to identify procedural risks related to the use of sensitive data and provide guidance for addressing those risks as needed. This position will coordinate and work with institutional IT departments to develop new technical solutions to meet compliance requirements and define new processes and standard operating procedures to enable teams across the enterprise to adhere to policy and legal guidelines and regulations, such as identifying opportunities for automation of existing compliance processes and introducing operational efficiencies for governance when appropriate.
HAI serves as the coordinating office for WVU’s State-University partnership with the WV DHHR. Ideal candidates will have work experience that aligns with the Health Affair’s Institute purpose and the mission of DHHR’s Bureau for Medical Services, Bureau for Social Services, Bureau for Behavioral Health or Bureau for Public Health, and an interest in improving the health of underserved populations, particularly rural, Appalachian populations. This position allows for flexibility in work location, including remote work/work from home options. Travel to the WVU Campus in Morgantown and/or DHHR Offices in Charleston may need to occur based on organizational needs throughout the year.
We strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU offers generous benefits, including:
• 13 paid holidays ( staff holiday calendar )
• 24 annual leave (vacation) days per year
• 18 sick days per year
(for when you’re ill, for when you need time to care for sick family, for your own, or your family’s, regularly scheduled medical appointments. Who is family for the purpose of this leave? A lot of people in your life including immediate relatives and in-laws as well as others considered to be members of your household living under the same roof)
• WVU offers a range of health insurance and other benefits (this position is a benefits-eligible non-classified staff position)
• 401(a) retirement savings with 6% employee contribution match, eligibility to continue health insurance, and other retiree perks. Looking for more retirement benefits information ? Check out retirement health insurance benefits, retirement income, and FAQ’s.
• Wellness programs
What you’ll do:
• Designs, implements and oversees a comprehensive data security program to assure HAI’s compliance with HIPAA and other regulatory requirements related to data management and security.
• Ensures that health data analytic activities are compliant with university-level policies for the responsible conduct of research and data stewardship as well as federal, and state policies.
• Identifies and communicates procedural risks related to the use of sensitive data and provides guidance for addressing those risks as needed.
• Leads the development of HAI’s vision for technologic innovation and translating that vision into strategic priorities and work plans.
• Oversees the implementation and management of supported technical solutions that are aligned with HAI’s IT needs and goals, and in compliance with Health Sciences Center.
• Assists HAI’s senior leadership with health data analytic program development and the implementation of common standards and tools to drive and facilitate the successful delivery of the data for used for analysis.
• Independently provides leadership on all information management functions for the Health Affairs Institute in collaboration with Health Affairs leadership.
• Assists with strategic planning and communicates information management needs to Health Affairs Institute leadership team.
• Works closely with WVU, HSC, and HAI leadership to proactively identify and resolve issues that may adversely affect health data analytic programs.
• Works as part of the Health Affairs Institute leadership team to advance the partnership between the West Virginia University Health Sciences Center and the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources, as well as other state and community partners.
• Directs special projects related to office improvement initiatives for information management or personnel as assigned.
• Supervises a team comprised of mid-level management, analysts and honest brokers within the Health Affairs Institute
Data Governance and Analytics
• Oversees data governance and data stewardship for the West Virginia University Health Affairs Institute
• Works with the Department of Health and Human Resources to expand and coordinate data resources, including the All-Payer Claims Database collection.
• Conducts relevant policy research.
• Maintains a data governance framework that defines the processes, practices, and policies related to access, sharing, and use of sensitive health care information.
• Serves as a subject matter expert regarding privacy-related laws and regulations governing protected health information
• Ensures compliance with federal and state law, and with WVU and DHHR policies and procedures.
• Serves as a University representative and liaison to the WV DHHR Office of Management and Information and Office of Technology to ensure compliance with agency policies regarding data governance.
• Makes recommendations regarding potential organizational risks related to information management.
• Ensures processes are in place for the appropriate accounting of all access to protected information.
• Utilizes effective oral and written communications skills to explain requirements and procedures for management of protected health information
• Develops and manages new Memorandums of Understanding, Data Use Agreements and/or Data Transfer Agreements as required for access to or the sharing of protected data.
Leads the Health Affairs Institute in the process of applying for data use agreements with WVU Information Technology and legal services.
• Reviews contract language to ensure compliance with the HIPAA Privacy Rule and technical security requirements.
• Investigates allegations of illegal or improper activities related to the handling or release of protected data.
• Identifies and recommends corrections to specific and systemic problems identified.
• Ensures the integrity and usefulness of data assets through the support of consistent definition, documentation, and appropriate use.
• Provides training on appropriate data governance and stewardship policies to other staff at the Health Affairs Institute
• Works as part of a team to advance the partnership between the West Virginia University Health Affairs Institute and the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources
• Supports both West Virginia University faculty as well as leadership within the Department for Health and Human Resources in accessing necessary data resources for state-sponsored program evaluations and other initiatives
• Manages the use of state data sources for independent research by faculty, staff, and students at West Virginia University
• Ensures that data analytic and research/evaluation activities are compliant with university-level policies for the responsible conduct of research as well as federal, and state policies.
• Acts in other matters and capacities as delegated by leadership within the Health Affairs Institute
• Works with national partners to remain current on best practices for good data stewardship.
- Master's degree in related field required.
- A minimum of eight (8) year's of experience in the following:
- Experience in a data protection, risk management or compliance role
- Record of leadership in data management or security.
- Experience in building, implementing, and supporting data governance or data management activities
- Experience training and managing other personnel
- Ability to project and maintain a positive and collaborative attitude.
- Knowledge of health data analytics.
- Deep knowledge of data privacy with proven ability to effectively cultivate and manage a data privacy program.
- Demonstrated understanding of the synergy between academic, clinical, governmental, and private sector systems for purposes of healthcare related initiatives and models.
- Knowledge and experience of healthcare systems, including issues related to health care access, payment, quality, and patient safety.
- Basic knowledge of data collection and analysis methods for public health or research purposes.
- Knowledge of honest broker services and models
- Ability to understand and apply complex legal language and terminology
- Demonstrated ability to articulate complex compliance information to technical teams, leadership, and customers across disciplines.
- Strong written and verbal communication and documentation skills
- Excellent diplomacy, facilitation, and communication skills
- Ability to collaborate with diverse stakeholders
- Ability to problem solve in complex environments
- Ability to consistently exercise sound judgment and initiative
- Ability to work effectively in a cross-functional team environment as well as work independently
- Discretion, confidentiality, tack, and ability to deal with sensitive data involving Protected Health Information (PHI), Research Health Information (RHI), and Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
- High level of professionalism and high moral and ethical standards in all activities
- Understanding of state and federal regulations governing sharing of sensitive data elements
- Knowledge of common database systems and methods for database interaction
- Knowledge of cyber security concepts, practices, and technologies
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills to lead teams, manage complex information, assess problems, and develop solutions. Ability to demonstrate excellent judgement, attention to process, and detail.
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley — the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
Creating an inclusive, engaged, and dynamic learning environment is core to WVU’s academic mission. We welcome candidates who can contribute a range of ideas, approaches and experiences.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu . View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu .
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert