(FM) encourages applications for the
position! This role sets ups,
maintains and collects all types of recyclable, compostable and
other materials from central sites on the entire campus via
specified routes to ensure materials are diverted into the proper
streams. Position will be responsible for ensuring proper signage,
stickers and grade sheets are available to help prevent
contamination at each site and will maintain records of materials
collected. The position works on a crew with two other employees,
and operates a ¾ ton box van to transport materials. The position
also sets up drop off sites, maintains and cleans recycling
equipment, maintains facility, and performs special pick-ups. The
incumbent is expected to respond after hours during emergencies and
report to work for regular assigned shift during emergency campus
closures to assist with getting the campus re-opened.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
(FM) is responsible for the overall
physical development and maintenance of the campus. The mission of
the department is to provide a safe physical environment that
promotes the advancement and transfer of knowledge.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Setup & Collection of Materials from Campus
Maintain Central Collection Sites, Enclosures &
- Identify acceptable and non-acceptable materials for recycling
and instruct personnel in the area on how to recycle properly,
reporting issues to supervisor.
- Review daily route and based upon building needs or importance,
decide the order of route stops to satisfy the requirements of the
- Determine the need for special pickups of recyclables based on
personal observations and verify verbal requests from building
users for additional pickups.
- Decide if material at each individual site is recyclable, trash
or compostable or if it should go through Property Disposal
- Provide on call service for special pick-ups and deliveries of
recycling and solid waste items on and off campus. Maintain records
of special pick-ups.
- Assist in training new employees on route via proper
procedures, guidelines and safety protocols.
- Advise supervisor or lead worker of safety incidents, near
misses and all potential hazards. Maintain safe work practices,
participate in department safety meetings and complete all assigned
- Assess, replace or repair old or broken recycling
- Clean enclosures every other week. Clean cabinets at least once
- Recycling bins and cabinets can un-expectantly break and must
be repaired or replaced. Replace broken carts and inform supervisor
if more major repairs are needed. Recommend modification and
improvement of recycling equipment.
Vehicles & Equipment Maintenance
- Maintain route records by recording amounts of all recyclable
material collected. Maintain simple fuel, travel and mileage
records as well as vehicle inspection sheets.
- Note when daily route sheets are missing certain stops on the
route, inform supervisor to make the change on the route sheet.
Write in any special pickups from areas as
What You Should Know
- Maintain, clean, perform minor inspections, check fluid levels,
and lubricate vehicles and equipment.
- Position decides when to complete minor periodic maintenance on
vehicles (fluid/lubrication checks). In addition, this position
recommends the need for maintenance on equipment and vehicles to be
performed by professional technicians.
What We Can Offer
- All University of Colorado Boulder employees are required to
follow the campus COVID-19 vaccine
- New employees must provide proof of vaccination or receive a
medical or religious exemption within 30 days of employment.
- This role is designated as Essential Services. A designation of
Essential Services means that the employee is required to report to
work at times when the campus is closed due to fire, explosion,
inclement weather or other emergency situations.
- The work schedule for this full-time position is anticipated to
be Monday through Friday; 6:00 am - 2:30 pm. Position may require
weekend and shift work due to special events, projects or
- The salary for this position is $33,492 annually.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental,
retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The
University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in
Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education
environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
Be dynamic. Be willing. Be Boulder.
What We Require
What You Will Need
- Must possess a valid Colorado driver’s license and pass a motor
vehicle and criminal background check.
- Must be able to lift 50lbs repeatedly, push/pull loads
- Must be a Colorado resident to apply.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Strong verbal and communication skills.
- Social skills including the ability to work well with others
and be professional when dealing with customers.
- Basic digital literacy.
- Experience operating ¾-1 ton vehicles and ability to operate
minor hydraulic equipment (lift gates, pallet jack, recycling/trash
- The tasks performed do not require any specific previous
education or experience. However, mechanical proficiency and a
willingness to learn are required.
- This class requires the individual to perform physical work
involving general tasks including hauling, lifting, and
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume. Must include date ranges and whether full
time or part time work.
- Optional: A cover letter that specifically addresses
the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
- DD-214 for veteran applicants.
- Qualified veterans are eligible for veteran’s preference points
within the State classified system. If you are a veteran and would
like to have your DD214 evaluated to determine your eligibility for
preference points, please attach a copy of your DD214 to this
posting. If you do not wish to upload a DD214, please email a copy
to HRESmail@colorado.edu or send via fax at 303-492-4693 and
reference the job to which you are applying.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by October 13, 2022
: Application materials will not be accepted via
email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through
CU Boulder Jobs
Select here for additional information regarding Classified Staff
This position is designated “essential services.” The incumbent is
required to respond to requests for work during campus emergencies
(snow, wind, rain, flood and any other natural or man-made event)
and report to work for his / her regularly assigned shift during
emergency campus closures.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: