Director, Admissions and Recruitment
- Colburn School
- Los Angeles, California
- Depending on experience.
- Posted Date
- Oct 4, 2022
- Position Type
- Administrative, Student Affairs, Admissions, Enrollment, Retention & Registrar
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
This is a full-time salaried position requiring an average of 37 1/2 hrs/wk in a 12 month calendar. Because of the nature of the admissions process, there will necessarily be a seasonal variance in the number of hours in any given week. The Director will process inquiries and applications and be the primary author of all communications relating to prospects and applicants, including website content. S/he will be proficient in the School’s admissions software (Slate) and student information system (Blackbaud). The Director is the primary contact for inquiries regarding the Academy and Conservatory admissions processes. They run auditions for both academic units, and schedules visiting prospective students for tours and other activities throughout the academic year.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following
- Oversee recruitment of students for both programs, including oversight of digital strategy, content management (website and social media), and print materials.
- Work closely with Communications, the Conservatory Dean and Provost, on recruitment marketing, and strategies for a strong national and international presence, including developing digital content, advertising (print and digital) as well as print pieces for both programs
- Manage inquiries, and design and implement communication plans for prospects to both programs
- Travel to appropriate venues for recruitment of qualified students to both programs, as part of an overall recruitment strategy
- Primary Slate captain; responsible for the online applications, including testing and implementing any process improvements, the accuracy of Slate data, and training new faculty/staff on system use.
- Manage the application processes, including authoring extensive e-mail communication to over 750 applicants, processing any waivers (fees, English language testing), and accurate database tracking.
- Coordinate pre-screening of applicants with 20+ faculty members, as well as appropriate notifications of results
- Schedule and manage all Conservatory and Academy auditions (on-site or virtual) with faculty and over 300 auditioning students, in cooperation with other offices including Production, AV, ESL faculty, and Accompanying.
- Coordinate and supervise student workers during the entire audition process.
- In coordination with the Provost and Administrative Manager of the Music Academy, administer financial aid process for the Music Academy, including production of application materials for applicants, coordination of the committee, communication of results to applicants, and reporting of information to Philanthropy department.
- Maintain accurate and clear information concerning admissions on the school’s website, keeping all admissions materials up to date with program and audition information.
- Enter new student data in the School’s student information system.
- Provide updated admissions information annually for all Student Handbooks.
- Assist in the counseling of prospective international students regarding requirements for admission.
- Assist with the accreditation process as needed for admissions data.
- Serve as DSO (Designated School Official), assisting PDSO in international student matters.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Supervisory responsibilities: The Director supervises student workers in the processing of application materials and audition day support.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Background in music or arts admissions, with 3-5 years of professional experience in arts education or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience working with highly gifted & talented students in a university or college environment.
- Strong PC skills (word processing, spreadsheets, databases). Highly proficient with MS Office, especially Word and Excel, and Slate admissions software. Proven ability to learn addition software applications including relevant Student Information System (Blackbaud). Ability to produce both Excel and system-generated reports.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to deal with a wide variety of individuals in person, via telephone and in writing.
- Ability to plan, organize and handle multiple tasks concurrently, with attention to detail.
- Capable of working well independently and in teams.
- High level of diplomacy, tact, discretion, confidentiality and professionalism.
- Ability to maintain a flexible attitude and approach towards work assignments.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert