Open Until Filled
Custodial Squad Leader
Department this Position Reports to
Facilities Operations & Management
Hiring Range Minimum
Hiring Range Maximum
Regular Full Time
Scheduled Months per Year
Scheduled Hours per Week
Schedule: Tuesday-Saturday, 3.00pm-11.30pm; Sunday/Monday off
Location of Position
6 Vox Lane
Hanover, NH 03755
Remote Work Eligibility?
Is this a term position?
If yes, length of term in months.
Is this a grant funded position?
Under general supervision from the Custodial Supervisor, leads,
directs and works with a squad performing a wide variety of tasks;
cleaning and unskilled building maintenance, event set ups, and
animal and insect control, which includes medium to heavy lifting
activities inside and outside a variety of the College’s
facilities. These facilities could include office space,
laboratories, eating facilities, public areas, auditoriums, etc.
Implements recycling procedures.
Required Qualifications - Education and Yrs Exp
High School plus 1-2 year(s) of experience or equivalent
combination of education and experience
Required Qualifications - Skills, Knowledge and
- Two years experience related to custodial work.
- Demonstrated proven ability with leading staff and in
effectively communicating and interacting with divers
Department Contact for Cover Letter and Title
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written
- Ability to provide work directions and train others in the use
of cleaning equipment and custodial work.
- Ability to operate and maintain heavy industrial cleaning
equipment (vacuum cleaners, powered scrubber, buffer and carpet
shampoo) and other hand operated tools.
- Knowledge of safe use of various chemical substances used for
cleaning purposes and insect control.
- Familiarity or ability to learn different table/chair
arrangements for event set ups.
- Ability to perform moderate to heavy physical labor, including
lifting and carrying light to medium weight objects.
- Must have successfully completed the following training prior
to performing the work to which the training relates:
– Genie Lift
– Asbestos Awareness
– Hazard Communication
– Blood Borne Pathogens
- Strong commitment to a diverse working environment and to
serving the needs of a large and diverse community.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We
prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex,
age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any
other legally protected status. Applications by members of all
underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and
successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which
may include a criminal background check, reference checks,
verification of work history, and verification of any required
academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results
acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not
automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background
check information will be used in a confidential,
non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal
Special Instructions to Applicants
UNION POSITIONS ARE AVAILABLE TO SEIU UNION MEMBERS ONLY DURING THE
FIRST WEEK OF POSTING . AFTER ONE WEEK OF POSTING, IF THE POSITION
HAS NOT BEEN FILLED INTERNALLY, IT IS OPEN TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC
AND OTHER MEMBERS OF THE DARTMOUTH COMMUNITY .
OPEN TO UNION MEMBERS ONLY FROM (10/3/22) THROUGH (10/9/22).
All Dartmouth College employees, whether working on-site or
remotely, are required to be up to date with vaccination against
COVID -19 (or to have received an approved exemption from
vaccination through the Office of Institutional Diversity and
Equity). Please visit https://dartgo.org/vaxpolicy
for details. Compliance with this requirement is a condition of
employment. Failure to meet this condition of employment within the
first 30 days may result in Dartmouth in its sole discretion ending
Dartmouth College has a Tobacco-Free Policy. Smoking and the use of
tobacco-based products (including smokeless tobacco) are prohibited
in all facilities, grounds, vehicles or other areas owned, operated
or occupied by Dartmouth College with no exceptions. For details,
please see our policy. https://policies.dartmouth.edu/policy/tobacco-free-policy
On a daily basis:
- Makes work assignments to custodians and ensures they have
adequate supplies to perform the work.
- Trains workers in the proper use, care and cleaning of
equipment and correct practices and procedures in performing the
- Monitors work in progress and ensures work performed meets
department standards and customer expectations and needs.
- Maintains on-going inventory of cleaning materials and all
equipment needed to do the work. Provides inventory information to
supervisor as needed.
- Provides custodial supervisor with daily account report and
informs of any problems and when equipment is in need of repair or
On a daily basis or when appropriate:
- Unlocks and locks assigned; cleans, mops, strips, waxes, and
buffs all hard surface floors e.g. stairways, public restrooms,
kitchen areas, laboratories, dining rooms, hallways; vacuums and
shampoos carpeted offices, hallways and common areas; washes
windows (inside and outside) in entrance halls; dusts office
furniture and window sills.
- Cleans restrooms. saunas, showers; sanitizes and disinfects and
deodorizes toilet bowls and sinks; wipes and cleans
counters/vanities; polishes mirrors; replaces and stocks restroom
On a daily basis:
- Empties office and common area trash cans; implements FO&M
recycling procedures; picks up, bags, and removes all trash inside
building as well as loose trash twenty ft. around building
perimeter to designated areas.
On an as needed basis:
- Performs set up and break down for College events (e.g. on the
average thirty 8FT tables and 350 chairs); sets up a variety of
planned events based on the design of the arrangement specified in
the work order; sets up and places tables, chairs, lecterns,
podiums, dividers, platforms, coat racks, etc. Places covers on
On an as needed basis:
Percentage Of Time
- Sweeps dirt and leaves and shovels snow from walkways and
spreads sand on walkways a minimum of three feet from all entrances
and exits to buildings at the start of the shift and throughout
- Cleans lighting fixtures and changes lightbulbs, using a step
ladder as necessary.
- Sets chemical and mechanical traps to catch a variety of
rodents and takes captured/dead rodents to outside area for release
or proper container. Sprays inside and outside of buildings with
various chemicals to control insects.
Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural
awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with
Performs other duties as assigned
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
Required Documents Optional Documents
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Talent Acquisition Consultant
- American Library Association
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Dartmouth College Employment Website
- Internal Employee Referral
- Higher Ed Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed Jobs
- National Black MBA Association
- Recruit Military
- Valley News
- Other (Please specify below)
- If you answered 'Other' to the above question, please specify
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Additional Document #1