Police Officer I
Applicants must be a Colorado resident.
The Police Officer I is the first line contact with victims of
crime and emergencies occurring on campus owned property. This
position provides assistance, information and direction to all
members of the campus community in the areas of crime prevention,
personal safety and general security.
- Proactively patrols the campus and its facilities by vehicle,
foot, and/or bike to detect and deter criminal activity, and
assists the campus community members as the need arises.
- Responds to and investigates reports of criminal and suspicious
activity. Enforces criminal, traffic, parking, and campus policy
violations and monitors all campus traffic.
- Provide security during special and athletic events, enforces
the Colorado Motor Vehicle Code and Colorado Model Traffic Code
- Conducts interviews with victims, complainants, witnesses, and
suspects within the guidelines of current legal practices.
- Prepares written reports documenting investigations of criminal
and suspicious activity for actual or suspected statutory
violations, institutional policy and procedure violations.
- Prepares cases for presentation in Municipal, County, and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Current, valid Colorado Peace Officer Standards and Training
(P.O.S.T.) certification. Please attach a copy of your P.O.S.T.
certification to your application.
- One year of law enforcement experience
- Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills,
as well as problem-solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills are a must as this position
works within a dynamic and diverse campus community.
- Must be at least 21 years of age; possess a valid Colorado
Driver License and have no:
- Felony convictions
- Domestic violence convictions
- Acquiring more than seven points in the last year and/or more
than 12 points within the last two years on a driver's
- Alcohol/drug related traffic convictions in the last three
years and repeat alcohol/drug convictions after the age of 18
within the last ten years.
- A copy of your current motor vehicle record (MVR) will be
required as a condition of hire
Law enforcement experience as a Colorado commissioned police
officer conducting patrol duties is preferred. Also desired is:
- Prior experience with campus policing
- Training or experience as a School Resource Officer
- Knowledge of current and best legal and investigative
- Community policing practices as related to a higher education
- Prior relevant state experience
Colorado School of Mines is committed to equal opportunity for all
persons. Mines does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex,
gender (including gender identity and gender expression), ancestry,
creed, marital status, race, ethnicity, religion, national origin,
disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status
or current military service. Further, Mines does not retaliate
against community members for filing complaints regarding or
implicating any of these protected statuses.
Mines’ commitment to nondiscrimination, affirmative action, equal
opportunity and equal access is reflected in the administration of
its policies, procedures, programs and activities and in its
efforts to achieve a diverse student body and workforce.
Through its policies, procedures and resources, Mines complies with
federal law, Colorado state law, administrative regulations,
executive orders and other legal requirements to prevent
discrimination (including harassment or retaliation) within the
Mines campus community and to address potential allegations of
inequity or concerns for safety.
How to Apply
To view the complete announcement and apply online, please
$27.26 - $33.88 Hourly
$4,725 - $5,873 Monthly
Mines takes into consideration a combination of candidate’s
education, training and experience as well as the position’s scope
and complexity, the discretion and latitude required in the role,
work location, and external market and internal value when
determining a salary level for potential new employees.
Mines is proud to provide exceptional benefits that include
pay, health & wellness and work/life balance offerings. The
state of Colorado portfolio of benefits to classified employees
includes medical, dental, disability insurance, life insurance,
health savings account, flexible spending accounts, discount
programs, and retirement savings plans. Additionally, Classified
employees at Mines are eligible for tuition benefits (for employees
and dependents), paid holidays and vacation/sick leave. For
additional plan details, please visit the State of Colorado Employee
Background Investigation Required
Drug Screening Required
Physical Demands Screening Required
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
Effective December 18, 2021, this position will require
documented proof of full COVID-19 vaccination. New employees will
be required to provide attestation to their status with proof of
vaccination upon hire.
Religious and medical exemptions and reasonable accommodation shall
be addressed as required by law pursuant to the Equal Employment
Opportunity Commission’s vaccination guidance.
October 03, 2022 Mountain Daylight Time
24 Oct 2022 Mountain Daylight Time