The University of New England (UNE) College of Dental Medicine (CDM) invites applications for the position of Assistant Dean of Finance and Administration (ADFA). Located on UNE’s historic campus in beautiful Portland, Maine, UNE CDM is the only dental school in a region where access to quality oral healthcare is a persistent challenge, especially in rural areas. Working here, you will join a team of dedicated and talented faculty and professional staff who are strongly committed to our mission to improve the health of Northern New England as well as rural and underserved areas while shaping the future of dentistry through excellence in education, discovery, and service.
UNE is a great place to work and we offer a generous comprehensive benefits package to eligible employees and their dependents. The package includes varied health and dental plans; a retirement plan that includes up to an 8% match; extensive paid leave including holidays, vacation, sick and personal time; and educational benefits for both employees and dependent children. Please visit the Human Resources Benefits site https://www.une.edu/hr/benefits for additional information regarding UNE’s fantastic benefits package.
The Assistant Dean of Finance and Administration (ADFA) reports directly to the Dean of the College of Dental Medicine (CDM). The ADFA is one of a generalist, possessing a high level of understanding of the support side of an academic enterprise. The ADFA serves as a Chief Financial and Administrative Officer of the CDM, and combines an array of management expertise, problem solving skills, human resources experience, and financial acumen; as well as the vision to advance the strategic goals of the Office of the Dean for the CDM. The ADFA is responsible for the personnel and administrative operations of all academic departments, offices and programs that report to the Dean, including but not limited to: direction and management of all aspects of the faculty and staff employment relationships, human resources planning, organizational assessments, personnel forecasting, salary and budgetary compliance, as well as financial management of all funds and budgets for the Office of the Dean. Additionally, the ADFA serves as the Dean’s liaison to central administration, especially the division of Finance and Administration and other colleges within the University.
Your success on our team will require excellent leadership and interpersonal skills and a desire to create a collaborative environment that fosters transparency, collegiality, and diverse viewpoints.
The primary responsibilities of the Assistant Dean of Finance and Administration (ADFA) include:
- Oversee the planning, preparation and execution of all budgets produced within the College of Dental Medicine.
- Provide input to the division of Finance and Administration in the preparation and execution of the institutional budget.
- Oversee fiscal operations in the Oral Health Center.
- Provide educational training and oversight to all CDM Department/Section/Clinic budgets.
- Provide signature authority and oversight to all accounts within the CDM and affiliated programs.
- Ensure financial procedures are compliant with the requirements of the University.
- Participate as a member of the CDM’s Dean’s Council and Dean’s Leadership Council.
- Demonstrate strong leadership abilities within the higher education environment.
- Provide oversight and budgetary compliance for all personnel actions within the CDM.
- Provide input to departments and offices for administrative actions such as space and personnel.
- Liaise with UNE Human Resources on all personnel actions within the CDM.
- Ensure that CDM departments are in administrative and operational alignment with the desires, decisions and direction of the Dean and the Dean’s Leadership Team.
- Continually assess and improve operational processes.
- Develop and maintain the policies and procedures necessary to effectively administer the CDM.
- Provides oversight of all Human Resources activities including recruiting, hiring, personnel actions, and disciplinary actions, etc. for the CDM.
- Serve as an advocate for Staff.
- Assist with the preparation and review of accreditation self-study documentation and participate in accreditation site visits.
- Ensure faculty and staff development and compliance with the Strategic Plan for the CDM. Provide direction and assistance in alignment of all faculty, staff, and programs with the direction of the Dean.
- Participate in the Dean’s Leadership team to develop a mission-based strategy for allocation of resources.
- Commit to actively fostering a welcoming culture of inclusion and diversity.
- Special projects and other activities as assigned by the Dean.
Direct supervision of two professional staff members, Clinic Support Coordinators.
Bachelors required, MBA or Masters in Health Administration degree preferred and five to ten years’ experience, preferably in academic medicine or healthcare administration, with management, HR, and budgetary experience or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills are acquired.
- Strong organizational, administrative, personnel, and budget management skills are required.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Necessary computer software skills.
- Ability to lead with transparency to gain trust and credibility.
- Prior higher education experience a plus.