Computer Systems Specialist I - PC/Apple
The mission of California Lutheran University is to educate leaders
for a global society who are strong in character and judgment,
confident in their identity and vocation, and committed to service
and justice. Founded in 1959 in beautiful Ventura County, the
university has an enrollment of about 4,000 undergraduate and
graduate students who come from across the nation and around the
world from a diversity of backgrounds, cultures and faiths. As a
federally recognized Hispanic-Serving Institution, Cal Lutheran is
looking for candidates with a dedication to and success in working
in diverse communities. The university is committed to an inclusive
learning and work environment that values individual differences
and respects each person’s dignity.
Under the supervision of the IT Service Desk Manager, the Computer
Systems Specialist I will apply knowledge and skills to install,
maintain, troubleshoot and repair computer hardware, software and
networks for the students, employees and affiliates of California
Lutheran University according to established policies and
- Maintains, installs and troubleshoots Macintosh/Windows
computer hardware/software using standard policies and procedures,
including but not limited to: computer operating systems, business
productivity suites, instructional aide, email and computer
management applications. E
- Maintains, installs, upgrades, and troubleshoots computer
hardware, peripherals and network-related infrastructure; corrects
hardware-related issues through repair or replacement, and working
with vendors. E
- Compiles, writes, and maintains written documentation of
computer configurations and ensures adherence to minimum
hardware/software requirements. E
- Assists with research and implementation of computer hardware
and software; maintains awareness of technological advances and
knowledge of current hardware, software and network technologies.
- Provides information and responds to service calls; addresses
questions and concerns by faculty, staff, and other constituents
related to computer hardware, software, and networks; reports and
maintains work orders in the electronic database. E
- Detect and remove viruses, adware, spyware, and other malicious
software using antivirus and other removal software. E
- Maintain and audit an inventory of computer software and
hardware owned by the university. E
- Serves as a technical resource to management, staff, and
faculty on network and computer systems; cybersecurity, provides
instruction, guidance and support to users in the proper use of
business and administrative software packages. E
- Administers, maintains and troubleshoots servers and or related
services as required.
- Assists in special IT projects as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Hardware, software, operating systems and networking
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Windows 7/8/10/11
- Intermediate knowledge of Apple OS 10.5 and newer
- Beginner knowledge of any flavor of Linux/Unix
- Microsoft Office Suite - Office 365
- Email clients (Outlook, Mac, Mail, Thunderbird)
- Desktop imaging software (MDT, SCCM, Jamf Cloud)
- Computer hardware and peripherals
- Hard disk, Optical Drive, Memory, Power Supply and other
- Printers and scanners
- Various input devices such as barcode scanners and drawing
- Proper techniques for maintaining an inventory of hardware
- Computer networks
- Windows and Apple networking
- TCP/IP, SMB, IGMP, POP and SMTP Protocols
- Ethernet media
- Network topology
- Local and Wide area networks
- Wireless networks and related protocols
- Effectively communicate technical issues in a technical and
- Identify issues, evaluate, and execute a plan to resolve
technical issues related to computer software, hardware, and
- Perform related tasks for issue resolution over the phone and
- Work independently with little direction and meet scheduled
- Serve as a technical liaison to users in an effort to identify
needs and resolve technical issues.
- Read and interpret technical manuals and documentation through
written and verbal communication.
- Establish, maintain and strengthen cooperative and effective
working relationships with colleagues and clients.
- Prioritize and manage workload assigned.
- Manage workload effectively under stress.
- Perform specialized duties in the technical field.
- Work flexible hours including occasional night and
- Operate a vehicle to conduct work.
Any combination equivalent to: two years of college-level course
work in microcomputers, networking applications and systems,
computer science, management information systems, information
systems, or closely related field and one year of increasingly
responsible experience in microcomputer, network, hardware, and
software installation, maintenance, and repair.
Licenses and Other Requirements:
Valid California Driver’s License
Indoor environment; constant interruptions; ability to work
flexible hours; subject to operating a vehicle to conduct
Number of Vacancies:
Desired Start Date:
Position End Date:
Open Until Filled:
Application Procedure/Special Instructions:
To apply, visit https://careers.callutheran.edu/postings/9975
California Lutheran University is committed to providing equal
opportunity in employment for all persons, regardless of race,
religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical
disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status,
sex, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender, gender
identity or expression, or any other basis protected by applicable
law. No person shall be excluded from participation in, be denied
the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination in any program,
activity or facility of the University on the basis of these
factors in a manner consistent with applicable federal and state
laws, regulations, ordinances, orders and rules, and University’s
policies, procedures, and processes.
Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process
can be provided to individuals with qualifying disabilities. Please
contact the Human Resources Department for further information or
to request an accommodation.