Essential Functions –
- Teach primarily Microbiology lecture and lab courses and one Human Anatomy and Physiology lab. Teaching assignments may include teaching via alternative delivery systems such as online.
- Plan, implement, and sponsor appropriate activities to supplement instruction.
- Assist in selecting textbooks, developing curricula, completing reports, tracking and entering assessment data.
- Maintain evaluation and attendance records as requested by the department and/or Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- Maintain skills in teaching methods and course development as recommended by HutchCC.
- Participate, as possible, in faculty development activities at the college and within state and regional organizations.
- Serve actively on institutional committees.
- Maintain records and files as requested by the department and/or Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- Arrive on time for work, attend work regularly, and successfully complete the responsibilities of the position.
- Comply with HutchCC policies, procedures, and practices.
- May advise prospective and enrolled students in the appropriate curricula.
- May mentor honors students.
- May sponsor co-curricular activities such as Biology Club.
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned by the Department Chairperson or the Vice President of Academic Affairs or as specified in the local Master Agreement.
- Master’s degree in Biology, Biology Education or a biological field required.
- Evidence of effective biology teaching experience at the collegiate level preferred.
- Ability to incorporate study skills, adult learning theory, and teaching/learning strategies to improve student persistence and retention.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective professional relationships with staff, students, faculty and other HutchCC stakeholders.
- Ability to plan, revise, and update curricula.
- Ability to communicate effectively with individuals from diverse ethnic, racial, socioeconomic, gender and disabilities populations.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in a student-centered environment.
- Ability to be attentive to detail, to accurately follow written and oral instructions, and to work independently.
- Excellent organizational skills and willingness to collaborate.
- Physical requirements include excellent written, verbal and listening communication skills; ability to understand words and respond effectively and appropriately; Visual acuity to view a computer terminal; to use appropriate judgment and to apply tact and courtesy in difficult situations; Light/indoor work environment.
- Mental requirements include the ability to learn and comprehend basic instructions about the position. Physical and mental qualifications must be performed with or without a reasonable accommodation. The qualifications listed are guidelines for selection purposes; alternative qualifications may be substituted if sufficient to perform the duties.
SALARY and STATUS:
The salary is determined per the 2022-23 Hiring Salary Schedule in the local HutchCC Master Agreement. This full-time faculty position is nine months annual (based on contract renewal), due process rights eligible, benefit eligible, and exempt. For a copy of the hiring schedule for this position, please see the attached schedule, or you may visit the following address: http://www.hutchcc.edu/hiring-schedule
Transcripts – The hired candidate will be required to submit official, non-issued to student, transcripts.
Start date: 2022 Fall semester
HUTCHINSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY,
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
To view the HutchCC Non-Discrimination Notice, please visit www.hutchcc.edu
HutchCC reserves the right to revise or change job responsibilities as the need occurs. This position announcement does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment; rather, it is a clarification of the responsibilities of the position. This job description may be changed at any time by the HutchCC administration.