Being a part of the Recreational Services Club Sports Program, the
role of Club Climbing Team Assistant Coach entails two primary
duties: assist the Head Coach with developing and coaching a
competitive team that competes at a national level, and assisting
with program oversight, while adhering to the Fort Lewis College
Code of Conduct in all interactions with team functions.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Valid United States Driver’s License
- Meet and sustain a satisfactory driving record that meets and
the underwriting requirements of the College insurance
- Familiarity with the Internet, Word and Excel
- Knowledge of USAC competition format and rules
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and
student success, as well as working with broadly diverse
- Passion for working with Student Athletes and facilitating
their growth as climbers and people.
- Safety-conscious approach to work.
- Empathetic, age-appropriate approach to teaching and
communication with Student Athletes.
- Ability to effectively top-rope and lead belay Student
- Ability to effectively and appropriately spot Student Athletes
while they are bouldering.
- Ability to teach rock climbing and competition skills to a wide
range of ability levels.
- Show up on time and ready to work. Attend most team practices
and most competitions.
- Assist with creation of training curriculum for the Club
- Oversee safety of team climbers during training and
- Collaborate with Head Coach, Club President and Assistant
Director of Recreational Services and solicit feedback on program
- Create and contribute to training materials for the team i.e.
goals sheets, training logs, etc.
- Assist with managing and tracking USAC registration, team
affiliation, competition attendance.
- Moderate to heavy lifting is required.
- Able to stand for the duration of an entire practice.
- Able to belay for extended periods of practice, as
- Ability to effectively and appropriately spot climbers during
- Bending at the waist and neck, sitting, kneeling, laying
- Able to demonstrate and physically train exercises (e.g. push
ups; pull ups; V-ups; etc.) with proper form and regard for
Salary is $2,000 per season- Paid hourly All travel for
competitions and recruitment is covered. All Team apparel is
A complete application packet includes:
- Cover letter addressing interest and qualifications for
- Include details regarding how your personal and professional
experiences allow you to encourage a learning environment grounded
in equity and inclusion. “How do you envision contributing to Fort
Lewis College’s commitment to equity and inclusion?”
- Names and contact information for three current, professional
Submit materials as one PDF file via email to:
The position will remain open until filled.
The successful candidate will be required to submit original,
official college transcripts, and pass a background check.