Facility Srv: Planning&Constr
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an
unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values.
We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our
efforts and working side by side to further NAU's culture of
NAU Facility Services: Planning, Design & Construction
Department is hiring a Project Manager,
. The Project Manager, Intermediate supports
all phases of project development, organizes proposals and
contracts, and reviews plans and contracts for compliance to ensure
the proper creation and execution of projects throughout the
Project Management and Supervision - 45%
- Successfully manages projects requiring design and construction
technical knowledge, to ensure that design meets user needs and is
completed within time frame and budget restrictions.
- Projects managed are typically low to medium complexity with a
budget under $5,000,000.
- Takes ownership and is the champion of assigned projects.
Effectively leads the project team by exemplifying high
- Develops Project Programming and Scope in conjunction with
- Develops accurate Project Budget and submits to University
Administration for approval.
- Monitors Project Costs throughout design, construction and
close-out. Position has direct profit and loss responsibilities for
- Provides cost estimating and value engineering for capital
- Manages schedule (prepare overall project schedule) and meet
multiple deadlines. Position has direct schedule responsibilities
for assigned projects.
- Monitors the construction progress schedule to meet the
- Manages consultants and contractors selection process:
Advertisements, Requests for Proposals, proposal evaluation,
consultant interviews and selection, fee negotiations, bid and
contracts, and pre-bid and preconstruction conferences
- Oversees activities of architects, engineers, special
consultants and contractors.
- Coordinates the interface among all the project stakeholders.
Responsible for overall relationship with projects stakeholders,
especially project Users
- Coordinate Plan Review, Permit issuance and Inspections with
University Fire Marshall and University Lead Building Inspector.
Ensures designs comply with existing codes and meet all applicable
University, State and local agency requirements.
- Manage the submittal/shop drawing review process.
- Coordinates the specification, purchase and delivery of
furniture, fixtures, and equipment from the appropriate
- Monitors, reviews and reports on construction progress
- Oversees project closeout and ensures compliance with
University and Board of Regents procedures, including preparation
of all Board of Regents documents.
Department Representation and University Technical Consultant -
- Attends and represents the University at all project meetings
and monitors actions at meetings for compliance with the Arizona
Board of Regents and University policies and standards.
- Prepares materials for submission to Arizona Board of Regents
and by other governmental agencies or governing bodies
- Assists in maintenance of University's Design Guidelines and
- Contributes positive input to efforts such as Search Committees
and Process Improvements Teams.
- Acts as an ambassador of department and the University by
promoting a positive image through courtesy, professionalism and
- Builds positive, long-term working relationships through
respect, cooperation, trust, and appropriate communications.
- Participates as an effective team member by contributing ideas,
encouraging others and supporting team decisions.
- Assists in developing policies and procedures to improve
project management. Updates and implements changes to the Project
- Acts as a valued resource, leads in areas of expertise, and
- Develops and improves processes, resources, standards, along
with professional and personal skills
Quality Control - 15%
- Incorporates and coordinates the needs of Facility Services
Maintenance with projects to ensure ease of maintenance and
compliance with codes and design specifications to provide long
term benefits to the University community.
- Supervise/monitor quality of in-house construction and
renovation designs developed by other technical staff
- Ensures quality and success of design and construction by
management of design and construction teams, review of construction
documents, and diligent observation of work.
- Review requests for change orders, request for schedule
changes, and interpretation of documents.
Administrative Duties - 15%
- Formally documents the design and construction process by
keeping and maintaining accurate records of all significant
project-related events, including but not limited to meeting
minutes, design submittals documents, construction administration
documents (RFI, ASI, CPR, Change Order request, etc…).
- Review consultants and contractors' Payment Application
requests and ensures timely payment.
- Determines and initiates appropriate action to provide problem
and dispute resolution and resolution of insurance claims in a
- Directs warranty period inspection and ensures follow-through
to resolution on all warranty claims and post-occupancy facility
Other duties as assigned - 5%
- Bachelor's degree in related field AND
- Two to four years experience with construction project
- Demonstrated organizational skills OR
- Any combination of relevant education and experience may be
substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Successful ability to manage a moderate to heavy project
- Knowledge of the various architectural, planning and
- Knowledge of project budgeting, cost estimating of
construction, escalation factors and market trends.
- Knowledge of Arizona Board of Regents design and construction
- Knowledge of requirements for acquiring professional design
services and construction services in accordance with Arizona
Revised Statutes and Arizona Board of Regents policy.
- Knowledge of building construction, materials and methods
- Knowledge of applicable building codes, electrical, plumbing,
mechanical, life safety and accessibility codes and laws.
- Demonstrate experience in project budget responsibility.
- Skill in managing multiple projects and coordinating the work
of a design and construction team to ensure compliance with the
- Skill in preparing program statements, Request for Proposals,
and contract documents for design and construction services
- Skill in negotiating agreements between parties with same or
- Skill in strong written and verbal communication (project logs,
memorandums, project documentation, litigation documentation,
- Skill in reading and interpreting plans and specifications and
assessing them with construction in progress.
- Skill in engineering and mathematical calculations and computer
- Demonstrated computer skills needed as a tool for problem
solving, design, budgeting and record keeping. Specifically denote
experience with programs similar to any of the following: PMWeb,
AutoCAD, BIM, Word, Excel, Project Scheduling and Estimating.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working
- Ability to create renderings for project concepts
- Ability to effectively communicate and interact with fellow
employees, user groups, contractors, architects, engineers, outside
construction management employees and all individuals from a
variety of diverse cultural backgrounds
- Ability to understand user's needs and to communicate technical
requirements to meet those needs.
- Ability to utilize insight, good judgment, good interpersonal
and management skills
- Ability to facilitate and seek fair, consensual resolution to
project challenges, issues and conflicts
- Ability to consistently manage stress in a positive
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to change in a position
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive
position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona
University requires satisfactory results for the following: a
criminal background investigation, employment history
investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and
fingerprinting. If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL,
you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier
Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere
to the clearinghouse requirements. Additionally, as an employer in
the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal
E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new
employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year
Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report
. The report is a result
of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery
reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed
calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU
uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report
crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the
Fire Safety Report
is combined with the Annual
Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this
campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire
safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing
and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you
would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the
NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the
department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Salary range begins at $62,996. Annual salary commensurate with
candidate's qualifications and related experience.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair
Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or
compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent
benefit package including generous health, dental and vision
insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System;
paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for
employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at
NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website
. Classified Staff
employees are in a probationary status for their first six months
at NAU. NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus. Employees offered a
position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's
BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits
on the first day of the
pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date.
Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in
benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in
the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability
coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period
following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity
for professional development. New
employee on-boarding training
includes courses to be completed
within the first 30 days.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship
for this position.
October 31, 2022 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on
this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the
"Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you
need assistance completing your application there are instructions
available on the Human Resources website
or in person in the
Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus
- on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable
accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact
the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006
or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities,
veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps,
and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=606692&PostingSeq=1