College and Area Information:
Eastern Arizona College’s District Offices are located in Thatcher, Arizona, a beautiful rural area
with easy access to arid as well as mountainous recreation. The College is located approximately
125 miles northeast of Tucson and 165 miles southeast of Phoenix. EAC is a comprehensive community
college offering five associate degrees across nearly 50 programs of study. Eastern Arizona College
is the oldest member of the Arizona Community College system and is fully accredited by The Higher
Position Summary and Organizational Relationship:
The Communication Studies Associate Professor reports to the Division Chair of the Communicative
• Master’s Degree or PhD in Communication Studies (or related Communication specialty
with a minimum of 18 graduate credit hours in Communication Studies).
• A clear understanding of and commitment to the community college philosophy and
• Experience teaching Communication Studies.
• Expertise in the field of communications theory in a broad range of professional and
• Ability to relate well to students from diverse backgrounds and varying levels of
• Proficient in AP formatting guidelines as they pertain to the intensive writing
component of this institution’s Communications curricula.
• Experience using computers for online and mediated instruction.
• Ability and willingness to teach both face-to-face and online courses.
• Willingness to teach daytime and evening classes during fall, spring, and summer
semesters, as required.
• Proficient in the use of audio and visual equipment to record and broadcast
• Willing and able to teach late afternoon, evening and summer classes as needed.
• Ability to work well within a departmental structure in the design and
implementation of curriculum and assessment.
• Experience teaching in a community college setting.
• Experience with institutional service
• Recent participation in professional development activities.
• Demonstrated participation in extracurricular programs.
• Willingness to organize campus and community cultural events promoting the
• Teach a variety of Communication Studies courses, including Public Speaking,
Interpersonal Communications, Intercultural Communications, Small Group Communications,
Communication Theory, and Communication Research.
• Teach a minimum of 32 adjusted load hours per year. Up to six adjusted load hours of
overload may be required per semester.
• Maintain a minimum accountability week of 35 hours on campus for teaching, advising,
helping students, class preparation, consultation with colleagues, and other related activities.
• Be responsible for updating course outlines and pre-and post-tests and developing
• Serve on institutional committees as assigned and attend division and institutional
meetings as required.
• Maintain current and accurate student records during each semester; complete
end-of-year student performance analysis and reports.
• Serve as a faculty advisor to students.
• Teach morning, afternoon, late afternoon, evening, weekend, and summer courses as
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Applicants should send a letter of application addressing each of the required and preferred
qualifications and describing experience related to the position responsibilities, a vita,
transcripts (if copies are sent, official transcripts must be on file prior to the date of hire), a
signed copy of the EAC application form available on EAC’s website (EAC Application Form), and a
minimum of three written confidential letters of professional references to email@example.com or can
be mailed to the address listed below:
Eastern Arizona College Human Resources – AP 243 615 N. Stadium Avenue Thatcher, AZ 85552-0769
The submission of all required application materials for the screening committee’s review is the
responsibility of the applicant. Applicants must be prepared to interview at their own expense.
Human Resources Department Voice: (928) 428-8915