ABOUT GOUCHER COLLEGE:
Since its founding in 1885, Goucher College has been a place of innovation and excellence. As a private liberal arts college, Goucher is dedicated to teaching students to be complex problem-solvers prepared for the jobs of the future. Small class sizes, a rigorous curriculum, and dedicated faculty and staff allow for personalized mentorship for each student. Named one of the most innovative colleges in the country by U.S. News & World Report, Goucher is a leader in global education and was one of the first colleges in the country to offer 100% study abroad. Approximately 1,100 undergraduate and 900 graduate students form the close-knit and vibrant Goucher community.
The Goucher Prison Education Partnership (GPEP), a division of Goucher College, provides men and women incarcerated in Maryland with the opportunity to pursue an excellent college education. We offer Goucher College courses to students at the Maryland Correctional Institution for Women (MCIW) and the Maryland Correctional Institution - Jessup (MCIJ). We also provide college preparatory courses for prospective Goucher students at the prisons needing additional support to be ready for college coursework. About 130 students are enrolled with Goucher College via the Goucher Prison Education Partnership. In courses at the two prisons, students are held to the rigorous academic standards for which Goucher is known. Courses are taught on site by Goucher College faculty as well as by outstanding professors from nearby colleges and universities. The entire Goucher academic community is enhanced and strengthened by the inclusion of these talented, dedicated students at the two prisons. Our work together stimulates awareness and meaningful dialogue in and beyond the Goucher community about justice, incarceration, and educational access.
The Coordinator of Office Operations ?is based on Goucher's main campus in Towson, MD, and manages ?in-office operations for the department, including oversight of all in-office volunteers and part-time workers, significant administrative work, securing all required materials for GPEP students and supplies for use in-office, and other projects essential to GPEP's operations.
Required: High school diploma or GED
Preferred: Associates degree
3 years of professional clerical and/or events experience in a busy setting.
Demonstrated success in an office setting, experience with inventory management, experience with database management systems, and informal/formal supervisory experience.
Salary Range: $41,521 - $48,848
- Responsible for all administrative and project-based work for GPEP, including the recruitment, selection, training, and supervision of part-time office volunteers and student workers working in GPEP's office. This is typically a team of around 10-15 volunteers and part-time workers each semester. Sets schedules, assigns tasks, oversees payroll, manages and implements office protocols, and conducts weekly check-ins, regular staff meetings, and ongoing supervision and mentoring to volunteers and student workers.
Equipment & Material Oversight
- Coordinate operational needs of GPEP including but not limited to appropriate space, furniture, and technology.
- Manage GPEP contracts and related paperwork. Coordinate copier contract and lease, manage relationships and arrangements for weekly newspaper donation, etc.
- Responsible for the identification of material needed from the 10,000+ item inventory, the acquisition of new course materials, and efficient management of a multiple-step process required to receive written permission from the prisons to bring each item (from graphing calculators and compound microscopes to art supplies) into the facilities.
- Maintain detailed communication with professors regarding what materials students need for their courses by specific dates; manage, track, and document the process from the initial acquisition of materials through the moment the materials are transported to the prisons. This includes effectively delegating subprojects to other staff members and supervising those staff members and others in completing their portion of the coordinated process on an appropriate timeline (determined and coordinated by the the Senior Site Director).
- Manage all material and supply purchases. Oversee the acquisition of class sets of texts, student technology (e.g., CD players, CDs, graphing calculators), and other supplies including all materials needed for scientific labs (e.g., live fish to dissection materials). Prepare and coordinate materials sent to the institutions on a weekly basis, providing all course materials, lab materials, and school supplies for students and related faculty.
- Work closely with the Director of College Operations in training faculty, particularly as training relates to course materials and procedures for requesting, signing out, and returning those materials.
- Reconcile key areas of GPEP income and expenses for review by the GPEP Executive Director. Ensure accuracy and oversee timely submission of staff reimbursement requests.
- Manage, reconcile and review monthly travel/expenses for GPEP staff members and manage related coordination and troubleshooting with the Controller's office.
- Identify opportunities to improve and increase efficiency of tracking and maintaining records for GPEP's operations and fundraising.
Database Management & Communications
- Cultivate and refine a system and practice of timely, efficient, and robust communication with stakeholders making inquiries, determining the appropriate response based on the nature of the inquiry.
- Manage the GPEP contacts database (e.g., Constant Contact) and related paper and/or electronic records. Maintain an accurate list of all released and transferred students, including up-to-date contact information, and when applicable, ensure released GPEP students are inducted into Goucher College's alumni association. Oversee, implement, and refine a system to ensure that contact information for GPEP's 3000+ constituents is accurate and up-to-date; facilitate changes to existing contacts and addition of new contacts. Monitor GPEP contacts email account to ensure new contacts are added in a timely way.
- Oversee GPEP communications with former students and individuals seeking enrollment or other information who are incarcerated at locations other than those served by GPEP.
- Manage acknowledgements and related communications from the department to GPEP donors (e.g., GPEP events, year-end updates). Identify and research, often through consultation with stakeholders, additional information needed to properly acknowledge, attribute, and track gifts to GPEP. Interpret diverse pieces of information gathered to determine the correct course of action.
- Identify and reserve appropriate spaces for approximately 30 GPEP events per year. Communicate with other divisions of the College (e.g., FMS, IT) to ensure issues are addressed in a timely manner.
- Coordinate stakeholder participation in up to 12 site visits each academic year. Manage the invitee list, invitations and RSVP tracking, paperwork preparation, and review (approximately 1,650 documents per year as required by the prison and the College). Discretely and diplomatically respond to diverse, at times involved, inquiries from invited guests (e.g., medical issues, justice system/citizenship/other issues impacting potential clearance for visit, logistical questions). Prepare all print materials needed by staff for visits, including but not limited to creation of staff packets for such visits.
Goucher College is always on the lookout for top talent, resourceful, innovative, and dedicated individuals who will keep the College at the forefront of extraordinary education. As one of the nation's most progressive, innovative institutions of higher learning, we offer outstanding professional advantages, generous benefits, excellent perks, and a great work location!
The review of applications will begin immediately.
Please submit the following application materials online:
- Cover letter
- Contact information for three professional references
- People with lived experience with the criminal legal system are encouraged to apply."
Candidates must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the USA. No Visa sponsorship is offered for this position.
Goucher College is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Quicklink to apply: https://goucher.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=152886