The University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law is seeking an Associate Dean for Student Affairs. The Associate Dean for Student Affairs is a member of the Dean’s executive team, reports to the Dean and works closely with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, on strategic planning, coordination, and implementation related to various academic issues, administrative matters relating to students, and programming initiatives. The Associate Dean serves as a strategic partner to School of Law leadership for matters concerning students (including student affairs, registration and enrollment, and financial aid), and serves as the School of Law’s representative in campus-wide student affairs initiatives, related programming, and policy deliberations. The Associate Dean is responsible for the effective delivery of a range of services and programmatic support to law students. Toward that end, the Associate Dean provides oversight to the Director of Student Affairs, the Director of Registration & Enrollment, and the School’s Manager of Financial Planning, to manage and facilitate delivery of high-quality student services.
UMB offers a comprehensive benefits package that prioritizes wellness, work/life balance, and professional development. This position participates in a retirement program that must be selected and is effective on your date of hire. Exempt regular staff receive a generous leave package that includes over 4 weeks of vacation accrued each year, paid holidays, personal leave, unlimited accrual of sick time, and comprehensive health insurance; professional learning and development programs; tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any University System of Maryland school; and flexible work schedules and teleworking options (if applicable per job).
UMB employees are strongly encouraged to follow all CDC recommendations related to COVID-19 vaccinations and booster doses. For additional information on protocols and exemptions, please visit the COVID-19 website.
- Ensures that the offices of Student Affairs, Registration & Enrollment, and Financial Planning provide quality services to all law students in a coordinated fashion.
- Enhances the quality of life of students by working closely with the Director of Student Affairs on student communications, wellness/mental health programming, accommodations, and the timely provision of personal counseling and referrals to other University student services resources or other community resources as appropriate.
- Oversees the planning and execution of all aspects of new student orientation and graduation.
- Works closely with the director and staff of the Office of Registration & Enrollment to ensure that the academic program is administered effectively and efficiently; that incoming students, current students, and graduates receive accurate and timely responses to requests; and that bar certifications are timely and accurately managed.
- Works closely with the Manager of Student Financial Planning on issues relating to financial aid and scholarship funding.
- Works closely with the Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, and the Bar and Academic Success staff to ensure students with significantly low academic performance are identified and supported in a manner that best ensures their opportunity for success.
- Provides academic counseling and advice to students, and oversees alleged Honor Board violations.
- Serves as the Administration’s liaison to the leadership of the Student Bar Association to develop policies and address issues that arise for student organizations.
- Provides advice to School of Law leadership regarding student issues.
- Collaborates with other law school departments, including the Offices of Admissions, Academic Affairs, Alumni Affairs, and Career Development, to develop policies and programs to enhance the student experience.
- Other duties as assigned by the Dean.
- Juris Doctor Eleven (11) years spent progressively building a background in student services and activities, strategic and tactical planning functions Five (5) years leadership with a thorough understanding of student services Experience in an academic legal system or an institution of higher education is preferred. Financial disclosure is required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to establish goals, structures, and processes necessary to implement a mission and strategic vision. Ability to convey a collaborative, solutions oriented style which can help lead change using strong communication skills to convey the benefits of proposed initiatives. Ability to present complex information to various constituents and convey a collaborative solutions-oriented style of management. Ability to develop and communicate student service & activity models and insightful analysis, performance measures, and financial metrics. Demonstrated leadership, communication, team building, staff building and organizational skills within a complex and diverse organization. Creativity in exploring and developing a high-quality control environment with personal integrity and professionalism. Proven excellent oral and written communication skills, and interpersonal skills. Proven ability to facilitate collaboration and work effectively with various constituencies. Ability to develop and administer budgets. Proven leadership, organizational, team building, and project management skills required. Sound judgment and the ability to make decisions quickly and fairly are required. Proven innovative problem solver with an attention to detail.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience ($130K to $150K)
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at HRJobs@umaryland.edu.
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact HRDiversity@umaryland.edu. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.