Hiring Department: UICOMP-Medicine
Location: Peoria, IL USA
Requisition ID: 1012114
Posting Close Date: 12/16/2022
The Department of Medicine at the University of Illinois College of Medicine Peoria (UICOMP) seeks an academic proceduralist to join a growing department known for innovative educational programs. The candidate will supervise the performance of procedures on patients at a 616-bed, tertiary care, academic medical center and will fully participate in the teaching programs for undergraduate medical students and residents.
The successful candidate will serve as full time proceduralist and hospitalist (attending physician of record or consultant) for the University Hospitalist and Teaching Service (UHATS) and will fully participate in the teaching programs for undergraduate medical students and residents. This will allow the University to expand the educational and health care services it offers.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Serve as full time proceduralist and hospitalist (attending physician of record or consultant) for the University Hospitalist and Teaching Service (UHATS).
- Perform or supervise the performance of procedures on patients. Procedures are defined as those appropriate for a general internal medicine physician according to privileges granted by the hospital. The various invasive, skilled procedures include paracentesis, spinal puncture, and POCUS.
- Perform or supervise the performance of patient care services to include hospital admission orders, history-physical examinations and reports, daily evaluations, daily progress notes, discharge evaluations, and discharge summaries when working as a hospitalist.
- Direct daily patient care responsibilities will include some weekends and holidays.
- Duties may include patient care on hospitalist team without resident physicians.
- Collaborate with other attending physicians and consultants.
- Assure orderly transfer of care to other physicians when assigned hours of service end.
- Reinforce hospitalist processes for patient care.
- Document daily involvement in patient care in the medical record and record charges appropriate to the level of service provided and documented.
- Opportunities to participate in performance improvement projects defined by the department chair.
- Opportunities to participate in university and/or hospital committees.
- Perform duties in a manner that complies with all applicable standards, rules, policies, and regulations of the hospital, University of Illinois, Joint Commission, and applicable local, state, and federal regulation.
- Perform internal medicine bedside teaching when assigned to UHATS to standards of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education.
- Opportunities to participate in resident morning report on weekdays when patient care activities allow.
- Opportunities to provide at least one Grand Rounds lecture yearly.
- Opportunities are available to give lectures to residents and/or medical students.
- Opportunities to participate in curriculum development with residency program.
- Opportunities to perform clinical research are available to the incumbent. Research productivity is not a requirement of the position.
- Participate in the business and fiscal activities of the department through routine evaluation of coding and documentation, regular review of charges and charge capture, interaction with the university billing. department, and other activities as appropriate to maintain the fiscal health and regulatory compliance of the department.
- Other duties as assigned and appropriate to advance the mission of the Department of Medicine.
- Must possess MD or DO or equivalent degree.
- Must be board certified or board eligible for certifying examination of the American Board of Internal Medicine or comparable certifying authority.
- Must be eligible for medical licensure in the State of Illinois.
- Must be eligible for medical staff appointment at university-affiliated hospital.
For fullest consideration please submit your application by 10/14/2022 at:
The University of Illinois System is an equal opportunity employer, including but not limited to disability and/or veteran status, and complies with all applicable state and federal employment mandates. Please visit Required Employment Notices and Posters at: https://www.hr.uillinois.edu/cms/one.aspx?portalId=4292&pageId=5705 to view our non-discrimination statement and find additional information about required background checks, sexual harassment/misconduct disclosures, COVID-19 vaccination requirement, and employment eligibility review through E-Verify.
Request an Accommodation at: https://jobs.uic.edu/request-and-accomodation/