Project Specialist (Public Education Specialist 3)
Salary Range: $49,000/yr. - $92,800/yr.
Apply by Date: 10/9/2022
UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education (CPE) is the academic division of the university dedicated to workforce and career development. CPE helps professional working adults upskill, reskill and advance their careers. CPE partners with campus schools, colleges and faculty to create global access to the distinctive knowledge and resources of UC Davis, and also works with employers and local experts to develop programs targeted to regional needs for economic development. More than 1,500 professionals teach in a wide array of specialized practice domains, including outstanding faculty from across UC Davis. Last year, CPE recorded nearly 74,000 enrollments in more than 4,400 classes, serving students from all 50 states and more than 100 countries. Courses are offered onsite and online in a variety of formats, including short courses, conferences, certificate programs and self-supporting master’s degrees. Courses are open to the public and offered on a contract basis through partnerships with private companies, government agencies and international peer universities. CPE also manages the university’s relationship with Coursera, a leading MOOC platform, and has generated more than a million enrollments through this partnership. CPE is completely self-supporting, generating more than $40 million in annual revenue from course fees, public and private contracts and grants. CPE employs approximately 180 employees (career, academic, contract and limited) and more than 60 student employees during peak periods, and draws on the expertise of approximately 1,700 instructors.
Use skills as a seasoned, experienced public education program professional to plan, manage and develop complex public education programs of a diverse scope. Independently perform the full range of responsibilities, with the full expectation to manage all aspects of program lifecycle. Possess broad job knowledge, and skill to analyze problems/issues/trends of a diverse scope and determine solutions. Adjust delivery format, timing, scheduling, pricing, curricula, and instructors to optimize outcomes for the division and learners. Oversee all program logistics to ensure smooth implementation, working with central services and program support personnel as needed. Monitor external trends including labor market, peer benchmarks, legal and regulatory changes, etc. to inform long-range planning. Conduct needs assessments and propose/develop new courses or programs that extend the portfolio. Assist academic/portfolio leaders with the assessment and development of entirely new programs within the portfolio. Recruit, select, orient, evaluate and coach program instructors. Recruit, select and convene program advisory boards. Participate in the development of marketing plans and enrollment/financial goals. Responsible for ensuring completion of all detailed course logistics, while also advancing ongoing strategic program goals. Responsible for contributing to program growth and optimization goals.
• Lift boxes of course materials weighing up to 50 lbs.
• Valid Driver’s license required.
• Travel between Davis and Sacramento on a regular basis.
• Work occasional overtime, evenings and weekends.
• The Smoke and Tobacco Free Environment policy is intended to provide a healthier, safer, and more productive work and learning environment for the entire UC community. The University of California prohibits smoking and tobacco use at all University owned or leased properties, or facilities operated by UC staff or faculty. Smoking and tobacco use are strictly prohibited in indoor and outdoor spaces, parking lots, residential space, and University vehicles. https://ucdavispolicy.ellucid.com/documents/view/271
• Bachelor’s degree in Business, Education, or Science and/or equivalent experience and training.
• Experience managing educational programs or projects with complex logistics in a professional or educational environment. Project management experience to oversee multiple, simultaneous projects and programs, establish priorities, develop a course of action, monitor the plan, review and evaluate results. Experience conducting needs assessments and the development of new presentations / courses to meet organizational needs. Experience using principles of adult learning and continuing education theory and practice in development of learning programs.
• Experience managing a portfolio of courses at the university or corporate level, and business expertise to plan, forecast, understand and interpret trends and recommend strategies for managing program lifecycle.
• Experience collaborating constructively with diverse team members in the organization, and working in matrix structures to produce results with shared accountability.
• Experience working independently under general direction, meeting multiple deadlines, and performing multiple assignments.
• Experience interpreting and explaining policies, developing and documenting standard operating procedures, and exercising sound judgment to recommend alternatives.
• Experience in advanced features of MS Office suite, particularly PowerPoint and Excel.
• Thorough analytical skills to conduct analysis and develop recommendations, demonstrating organization and problem-solving skills.
• Thorough and effective verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills and presentation skills. Professional poise to present to, and interact with, diverse constituencies including faculty, staff, students, clients, the public and outside agencies using a variety of communication methods.
• Thorough knowledge of and skill in delivering programs, including current trends in public education.
• Awareness of general accounting principles/practices and ability to develop and manage course/program budgets, and fiscal analyses of program performance.
• Experience conducting interviews or facilitating advisory meetings with subject matter experts.
• Experience working in an online learning environment with learning management systems.
• Skill to identify, recruit and hire instructors/subject matter experts, and to negotiate compensation.
• Knowledge of principles of adult learning and continuing education theory and practice, and familiarity with academic credentialing and accreditation issues.
• Skill to conduct environmental scans and synthesize various sources of data (labor, legal, regulatory, competitive) to make recommendations for program growth and optimization.
• Awareness of modern marketing methods to develop/contribute to marketing and outreach plans.
This position is a critical position and subject to a background check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of background investigation including criminal history and identity checks.
The University of California has implemented a SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program SARS-CoV-2 Vaccination Policy (ucop.edu) covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, employees must submit proof of vaccination or a University-approved exception or deferral.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging
At UC Davis, we’re solving life’s most urgent challenges to bring a fuller, healthier, and more resilient world within reach. We grow from every challenge we take on and we don’t just maintain - we improve.
We recognize that creating an inclusive and intellectually vibrant organization means understanding and valuing both our individual differences and our common ground. The most comprehensive solutions come from the most diverse minds and you belong here.
As you consider joining UC Davis, please explore our Principles of Community, our Clinical Strategic Plan and strategic vision for research and education, and our latest efforts to outgrow the expected.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
To view full job description and submit an on-line application visit UC Davis Career Opportunities at:
Job ID #43169
The University of California, Davis is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer