About Unity College:
For more than fifty years, Unity College has been preparing the
next generation of environmental professionals and leaders to
successfully face real-world challenges. With environmentally
focused degrees, Unity College offers affordable and accessible
degrees, certificates, and non-degree courses, through a variety of
modalities including hybrid, in-person, hyflex, and online.
Through the framework of sustainability science, Unity College
provides a liberal arts education that emphasizes the environment
and natural resources. Utilizing experiential and collaborative
learning, our graduates emerge as responsible citizens,
environmental stewards, and visionary leaders.
As an ambassador for design the Product Designer (PD) tackles big
challenges and leads the development of business-to-business
non-credit products for Unity College Sustainable Ventures (SV).
The primary responsibility of the PD is to develop innovative
learning solutions through engaging pedagogy and various
methodologies. With a solid foundation in instructional design
principles, this position works with subject matter experts (SMEs)
and business partners to develop non-credit courses, corporate
learning, and micro-credentials. The PD provides guidance on
aligning competencies, assessments, and objectives to optimize
learning and provide continuous improvement. This position works
closely with the Vice President of Sustainable Ventures in
collaboration with stakeholders to oversee processes and resources,
product documents, and other related materials and is based out of
New Gloucester, Maine.
Full job description provided at time of interview.
- Deliver strong, creative learning solutions to complex user
- Liaise closely with the business-to-business partnership team
to ensure efficient handoffs of build tasks, timelines, and
- Establish a culture of Agile product development, including
mindset, processes, best practices, tools and nomenclature.
- Oversee all phases of the design process, aligning content to
outcomes, while creating instructionally sound and engaging
learning opportunities, and developing quality assessment
- Provide pedagogical guidance to author original content,
designing, and developing high quality, innovative, non-credit
learning products, applying the appropriate learning and
- Development engaging and immersive, multi modal learning, while
incorporating cutting edge digital media into the e-learning
platform, including but not limited to live classroom, virtual
live, on-demand, interactive multimedia, videos, VR/AR, AI based,
quizzes, and gamification solutions, etc.
- Develop and lead trainings on instructor and client support
materials, including tutorials, orientations, help sessions, and
workshops, as needed.
- Provides product design services, consultation and assistance
to help plan, coordinate, support, evaluate and improve learning
- Appraise learning content quality in terms of design, writing,
- Oversee design revisions and outcomes-based improvements of
- Remain current and maintain a thorough understanding of the
latest industry technology tools and trends in EdTech and
- Work with the VP of SV in collaboration with stakeholders to
develop new services and test new products and learning
- Pro-actively communicate challenges, successes, and failures
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree.
- Strong research, content analysis, and content preparation
- Experience in leading and managing multiple, complex projects,
and the ability to schedule, prioritize and meet varied deadlines
across these projects.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and manage multiple
priorities both independently and within a team.
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills
with strong interpersonal and presentation skills, while working
with diverse content and populations.
- Proven ability to stay current with rapidly changing
- Ability and willingness to work with individuals from diverse
political/socioeconomic backgrounds and a wide range of physical
and academic abilities.
- Personal commitment to the environmental focus and mission of
- Ability to function effectively within a matrix organizational
structure, maintaining open lines of communication while being
discreet, courteous and well poised.
Location: Pineland Farms, New Gloucester, Maine
- Masters degree in Instructional Design, Education, or
- One year of experience working in a full-time instructional
design capacity, collaborating directly with curriculum building
and course development.
- Experience developing non-traditional learning experiences,
corporate learning, micro-credentials, and/or badging.
- Proven knowledge of instructional design strategies, along with
the current techniques, tools, and procedures used in the design,
development, and evaluation of technology-enhanced and online
courses and programs.
- Experience with graphic design and AV elements appropriate for
online instruction, especially using the Adobe Creative Cloud
- Experience in online classroom teaching or workshop
- Knowledge and understanding of Quality Matters, Online Learning
Consortium and similar online learning rubrics.
- Familiarity with Universal Design and other accessibility
principles to ensure course content is accessible to all
- Proven ability to work effectively and communicate with subject
matter experts, peers, users and media developers.
- Demonstrated competence working with CRM, LMS, and various
- Familiarity with HTML and CSS.
Just a half hour from Portland, Unity College Headquarters, Unity
College Distance Education, The Technical School for Environmental
Professions, and the School of Environmental Business &
Sustainable Ventures are based at the Pineland Farms campus. The
facilities are within easy access to one of the fastest-growing
cities for startups in the country.
Unity College offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation
and benefits package for its faculty and staff. Benefits for
eligible employees include:
- Paid holidays
- Paid time off
- Short- and Long-term disability
- Life Insurance
- Flexible work benefit eligible