About the Job
The Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR) at the University of Minnesota invites applications and nominations as they launch a national search for Associate Vice President for Research Infrastructure and Interdisciplinary Institutes and Centers.
The Associate Vice President will provide leadership in development, enhancement, management, and review of academic centers and institutes that report to OVPR. The position will more broadly oversee University shared research resources, core research services and related research infrastructure. A major emphasis for this new position is on enhancing the interdisciplinary collaborative funding and research opportunities between the Health Sciences and other colleges across the UMN system. Further, this position will be responsible for managing and growing research infrastructure resources through extramural granting opportunities or investments from other sources. This position will have a dual reporting structure to the Vice President for Research and the Vice President for Clinical Affairs.
- Build collaborative teams and research strategy between the Health Sciences and other disciplines across the UMN system to facilitate new funding, scholarship, and research opportunities for UMN researchers
- Jointly with the Provost’s Office manage university research policies related to creation, management operation and review of research institutes and centers
- Lead the development and implementation of policies, procedures, funding, and oversight of university investments in research infrastructure and shared research facilities (e.g., Research Animal Resources (RAR), BSL-3 Program, Genomics Center, Characterization Facility) based on recommendations from previous blue ribbon University committees
- Assist efforts in conceiving and submitting proposals for the creation of new infrastructure and facilities; and will coordinate research resources with faculty needs, especially those of new faculty
- Oversee OVPR-managed research infrastructure and resources to maintain a safe environment that meet institutional and regulatory requirements, including for RAR and the University’s BSL-3 Program. RAR provides the UMN research community with animal care, procurement services, veterinary knowledge, and maintenance of housing facilities for animal-related research activities. The BSL-3 Program provides management support and oversight for the University of Minnesota biocontainment facilities
- Supervise newly created interdisciplinary OVPR institutes such as the planned International Institute for BioSensing (IIB)
- Manage the University’s Research Infrastructure Investment program funding
- Assist and grow systemwide collaborations and research activities across UMN system campuses
- Coordinate OVPR’s research relationships with the broader community as a form of research infrastructure, including coordinating outreach and community engagement in partnership with the president’s senior advisor for Native American Affairs and the Community Oversight Board
The percent time of this position is negotiable (100% is preferred). The position is an annually renewable P&A administrative appointment. The salary will be based on current faculty salary with an administrative augment to be provided. The position will be subject to annual review and evaluation.
This is a national search with the goal of finding the top candidate that can strengthen the operation of current OVPR institutes and centers and develop new initiatives that will open new funding opportunities for UMN researchers. Development, management, and safety of research infrastructure are critical aspects of this position and thus the candidate must have a track record in all these areas. It is expected (but not required) that the selected individual has qualifications to become a tenured member of the UMN faculty. An ideal candidate for this position will have experience in industry, government, and academia. A Ph.D. degree is preferred. The position requires sound policy judgment and proven skills in working effectively with faculty, staff, students, and external agencies. Preference will be given to those with cross departmental or cross disciplinary experience, an outstanding record of research funding, successful administrative and leadership experience, experience on research related committees and a background that complements that of other executive staff.
About the Department
The University of Minnesota is regularly ranked as a top ten US public research university, and OVPR is a systemwide resource for faculty, staff, students, and external partners to conduct, manage, and sponsor research at the UMN. The University’s externally sponsored research award funding exceeded $1.15 billion for the first time in fiscal year 2021. The University holds over 1,100 patents and more than 2,800 current licenses for UMN technology in medicine and health, biotechnology, chemistry, engineering, agriculture, and other fields important to society and the economy.
Working at the University
At the University of Minnesota, you’ll find a flexible work environment and supportive colleagues who are interested in lifelong learning. We prioritize work-life balance, allowing you to invest in the future of your career and in your life outside of work.
The University also offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Competitive wages, paid holidays, and generous time off
- Continuous learning opportunities through professional training and degree-seeking programs supported by the Regents Scholarship
- Low-cost medical, dental, and pharmacy plans
- Healthcare and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- University HSA contributions
- Disability and employer-paid life insurance
- Employee wellbeing program
- Excellent retirement plans with employer contribution
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) opportunity
- Financial counseling services
- Employee Assistance Program with eight sessions of counseling at no cost
Please visit the Office of Human Resources website for more information regarding benefits.
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will have the opportunity to complete an online application for the position and attach a cover letter and resume.
Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your "My Job Applications" page and uploading documents in the "My Cover Letters and Attachments" section.
This position requires that you attach -
- Letter of interest that addresses the position's responsibilities
- Curriculum Vitae
- Names of three references
Nominations and/or applications will be reviewed beginning on October 3, 2022, and will continue until the position is filled.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
UMN Internal Candidate Job Link
External Candidate Job Link
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U: http://diversity.umn.edu.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
Please note: All employees at the University of Minnesota are required to comply with the University’s Administrative Policy: COVID-19 Vaccination and Safety Protocol by either providing proof of being fully vaccinated on their first day of employment, or complete a request for an exemption for medical exemption or religious reasons. To learn more please visit: https://safe-campus.umn.edu/return-campus/get-the-vax
About the U of M
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC), is among the largest public research universities in the country, offering undergraduate, graduate, and professional students a multitude of opportunities for study and research. Located at the heart of one of the nation's most vibrant, diverse metropolitan communities, students on the campuses in Minneapolis and St. Paul benefit from extensive partnerships with world-renowned health centers, international corporations, government agencies, and arts, nonprofit, and public service organizations.