Lecturer - Hart School of Hospitality, Sport and Recreation Management
The Hart School of Hospitality, Sport and Recreation Management at James Madison University invites applications for a Lecturer in Hospitality, Sport and Recreation Management. The position is a renewable term appointment beginning in August of 2023. Candidates must be able to be on campus for a start date of 08/25/2023. The position is a full-time (10 month) position in Harrisonburg, Virginia, and is benefits-eligible.
JMU is committed to innovation, superlative teaching and scholarship. JMU has achieved national recognition for the quality of its academic programs and has been repeatedly identified as a best-buy for students.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The primary responsibility will be teaching undergraduate hospitality management courses across the hospitality curriculum, but mainly in the areas of culinary arts and menu management, food and beverage management, hospitality operations, and lodging, clubs, and resort operations. The Hart School offers a variety of teaching and learning resources, including classrooms and offices contained in an instructional wing of a fully operational on-campus hotel, as well as a fully equipped modern teaching kitchen classroom/lab which integrates technology into the learning experience and can accommodate a variety of learning experiences.
This position has a four/four instructional load during the regular academic year with an 80% focus on teaching. The remaining 20% of the position focuses on service and scholarship. Other responsibilities include scholarship in hospitality management, and service, such as building partnerships with the industry and other divisions across the University, placing and supervising interns, and overseeing student groups. Additional teaching opportunities and specific assignments are dependent upon departmental needs.
Required qualifications include a master’s degree in hospitality or a related field and either: multi-year experience teaching hospitality management at the collegiate level or professional management work experience in hospitality operations or related field with evidence of training/mentoring others. The candidates must demonstrate experience in outreach to the business community and provide examples of student engagement within the academic and local community. Preference will be given to candidates with a degree in Hospitality Management.
We promote access, inclusion, and diversity for all students, faculty, staff, constituents, and programs, believing that these qualities are foundational components of an outstanding education in keeping with our mission. The University is interested in candidates whose experience and qualifications support an ongoing commitment to this core quality.
To learn more and to apply, go to joblink.jmu.edu and reference posting F1988 or go to https://joblink.jmu.edu/postings/13020. Review of applications begins 10/28/2022. Salary is commensurate with experience. For more information, contact the search chair, Benjamin Swartz firstname.lastname@example.org.
James Madison University is committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status We promote access, inclusion and diversity for all students, faculty, staff, constituents and programs, believing that these qualities are foundational components of an outstanding education in keeping with our mission. The university is interested in candidates whose experience and qualifications support an ongoing commitment to this core quality Anyone having questions concerning discrimination should contact the Office for Equal Opportunity: (540) 568-6991.