Full-time appointment in the Product Design Department. The Product Design Department of Maryland Institute College of Art invites applications for this full-time faculty position with a multi-year renewable contract in a non-tenure institution beginning Fall 2023.
The faculty position will teach 18 credits per year (three courses per semester) at an art school nationally known for its dedication to teaching excellence, a rigorous liberal arts curriculum and the importance of the fine arts. The candidate will be capable of teaching all levels of the undergraduate program, be proficient in traditional and emerging techniques, and have a broad understanding of new approaches to Product Design.
The Product Design Department is a newer department at the College and its curriculum and philosophy encourages students to explore both traditional and emerging practices in the broad sense of the discipline. A focus on sustainability, entrepreneurship, and local/global practices is at the center of the department. A practice of embracing emerging material and manufacturing directions as they are applied to the craft of product design is embedded in the studio experience. The ideal candidate would demonstrate design excellence, encourage innovative teaching methods, and inspire students to become design leaders. The candidate would teach a range of introductory and advanced courses with a focus on the aesthetics of appropriate form giving, digital technologies, and materials and manufacturing. The successful candidate must have attained significant professional achievement in product design and demonstrate a commitment to a user centric design methodology and entrepreneurial approaches. We seek a leader, passionate student mentor, and generous colleague who can further develop our design community within the College and regionally.
The interdisciplinary nature of the Department and College requires that faculty maintain an active professional practice and meaningfully contribute in a variety of areas that include: all aspects of departmental operations and institutional governance including departmental management, advising, institutional and departmental committee service and scheduled departmental and student activities and coordinating the department exhibitions of student work during the school year. In addition to teaching, all full-time faculty are expected to pursue research and/or professional engagements that contribute to the educational mission of the department and college.
● MFA, MDes, or equivalent Master’s degree
● Minimum three years of full-time teaching experience (at the college-level beyond graduate assistantships is preferred) and/or equivalent professional experience
● Demonstrates ability to build curriculum from undergrad foundation to capstone courses
● Demonstrated knowledge of visualization, digital modeling, and fabrication techniques
● Significant professional achievement in product design, industrial design or related field
● Candidate must successfully complete a full background check
Valued, but not required:
● Experience advising students
● Experience supporting a department through engaging in committee service and institutional activities
● Understanding of user centered design and entrepreneurship in creative industries
Salary: Commensurate with experience and college policy; excellent benefits package.
Apply: The College will review applications as received. Although materials received by November 15, 2022 are best assured of receiving full consideration, the position will remain open until filled. All inquiries, nominations and applications will be held in the strictest confidence.
Visit https://micahr.slideroom.com. You will be asked to login or create a login. Once you have logged in, please follow these instructions. Instructions will also be posted in SlideRoom as you are applying.
Submit online: Two multi-page PDF documents.
1) The first multi-page PDF document should include a letter of application, comprehensive CV, statement of teaching philosophy, artist statement, example curricula and/or syllabi, and names and contact information including address, phone and email for three references.
2) The second multi-page PDF document should include a portfolio of 20-25 images of professional creative work and 15-20 images of student work, to include descriptions. Links to live URLs may be submitted as well, but will be considered as a secondary source. Any additional media (MOV, MP3, etc.) should be formatted for Apple computers and have representative still image and description information in PDF portfolio documents.
Please format PDF documents for screen resolution and viewing. No physical media are requested nor will be returned.