JOB SUMMARY :
The Department of Natural Sciences is housed within the College of
Arts and Sciences and Education and serves as home for 10 full time
Faculty and nearly 150 undergraduates and 6 first cohort graduate
students between its Biology and Chemistry programs.
Upon joining the Department of Natural Sciences, the successful
candidate will work among a dynamic faculty to deepen our
fundamental understanding of natural phenomena and address critical
challenges facing our society. The research environment is
strengthened by an initial NSF -funded research award, a
Constellation E-2 grant, a Maryland Initiative Partnership
MIPs-funded grant, as well as several NIH, DOD, USDA funded
Research projects. The Department is equipped with state-of-the-art
core facilities such as a 400 MHz NMR, GC mass spectrometry, HPLC,
TGA, FESEM - EDS, AFM, TEM, Electrochemical PARR unit, Bomb
Calorimeter, Raman, FTIR, UV- VIS, Circular Dichroism
spectropolarimeter, Shimatzu spectrofluorometer, Electrophoresis,
Tensile-Stress Electromechanical Tester.
The selected candidate will be teaching graduate and undergraduate
courses in Chemistry, contribute to the on-going research programs
in polymer and material sciences, secure external funding to
support research and department programs, advise students, and
provide service to the department/community.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Teach undergraduate and graduate courses, including Polymers
and Materials Sciences, Computational Chemistry, Advanced
Instrumentation, Foundations of Biomaterials, Thermodynamic of
Polymers, and other courses as appropriate.
- Maintain and facilitate the delivery of courses and other
scholarly material using contemporary technology for quality
classroom instruction. methods and student teaching.
- Assist students in fulfilling their maximum potential by
conducting comprehensive academic advisement sessions.
- Conduct scholarly research in and supervise undergraduate and
- Secure internal and external grants to support research.
- Participate in department, school, and university
- Participation in program related accreditation activities for
the department and academic unit.
- Participate in services activities conducted by the University,
College, department, and community, which includes outreach to
Community Colleges and high schools.
- Other duties as assigned as related to faculty workload
- PhD in Chemistry from an accredited institution required.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS :
- May be a recent graduate with two years of Post-Doc training in
- Teaching experience in a four-year university setting.
- Successful experience in obtaining external grant and
undertaking cross-disciplinary research.
Position Detail Information
- Excellent written communication and public speaking
- Demonstrated commitment to higher academic and professional
- Demonstrated ability to work well with Pre-professional
- Demonstrated ability in developing and leading undergraduate
- Demonstrated ability to deliver innovative and student-centered
- Demonstrated evidence of working in diverse learning
- Demonstrated evidence of incorporating technology in courses to
engage diverse learners.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively on university-wide
- Demonstrated ability to interact with students to support their
progression to the degree and their service to the community.
Posting Detail Information
Position End Date (if temporary)
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicant