To perform short order grill cooking and serve quality food to
students and staff; to set up, take down and clean equipment and
work areas; and to perform a variety of tasks relative to assigned
area of responsibility.
This is the entry level class in the Food Service Assistant series.
This class is distinguished from the Senior Food Service Assistant
classification by the performance of the more routine tasks and
duties assigned to positions within the series including short
order grill cooking.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general supervision from an assigned supervisor. .
May oversee and train student workers.
- Serve quality food and snacks to students and staff; set up,
take down and clean assigned food bars, steam tables and salad
- Perform short order grill cooking including but not limited to
hash browns, sausages, bacon and french toast.
- Cut meats and cheeses for sandwiches and pizzas; prepare pizza
crusts; pre-make sandwiches.
- Operate various appliances and equipment found in all areas of
food service including, but not limited to, grills, fryers,
steamers, ovens, food processors and slicers.
- Clean, maintain and sanitize food service areas, utensils and
equipment according to established procedures and regulations;
sweep and mop the kitchen and assigned areas.
- Operate cash register and serve as cashier for assigned food
- May provide training to student workers.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
Ability to :
- Basic principles and practices of nutrition.
- Principles and practices of safe food handling and grill
- Methods and techniques of kitchen equipment operation, cleaning
Education and Experience Requirements
- Perform short order grill cooking.
- Operate a cash register; handle and count money.
- Clean and maintain food service areas, utensils and
- Operate, clean and maintain various kitchen equipment and
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Sensitivity to and understanding of, the diverse academic,
socioeconomic, cultural, linguistic, ethnic backgrounds and
disabilities of community college students and staff.
- Frequent lifting and carrying to 50 pounds; constant standing
and walking; operation of kitchen equipment and appliances.
Completion of the twelfth grade or equivalent
No experience required.