To provide a variety of technical support to students and
instructors in the operation of the Center for Microscopy and
Allied Sciences; to schedule laboratory and equipment usage for
students; to operate, maintain and order laboratory equipment and
supplies; and to ensure safety and adherence to established
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives direction from an assigned supervisor.
Knowledge of :
- Provide a variety of technical support to students and
instructors in the operation of the Electron Microscopy Lab; train
students in the use of transmission and scanning electron
microscopes and other laboratory equipment.
- Establish schedules for student use of electron microscopes and
associated equipment; provide assistance to students preparing
specimens for use with the electron microscope.
- Prepare necessary chemicals, and specimens for use by
instructors in class room assignments; provide assistance to
instructors during laboratory assignments.
- Ensure that adequate levels of liquid nitrogen are maintained
throughout the year.
- Operate, maintain, clean and order laboratory equipment,
supplies and other materials; contact vendors and obtain price
quotes; maintain accurate records of supplies and equipment
- Ensure proper alignment of transmission and scanning electron
microscopes; recommend to faculty the acquisition or repair of
equipment to improve the educational program.
- Maintain awareness of new developments in electron microscopy;
incorporate new techniques into classroom instruction and
- Respond to questions and inquiries regarding the Electron
- Participate in recruitment activities for the Electron
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
Ability to :
- Theories and applications of electron microscopy.
- Operational characteristics and practical use of electron
- Operations and standard safety procedures of an electronic
- Methods and techniques of instruction.
- Maintenance and repair techniques of electron microscopes and
- Safe methods and techniques of chemical preparation.
Education and Experience and Requirements
- Operate and maintain a variety of electron microscopy
- Provide assistance and instruction to students in the theories
and applications of electron microscopy.
- Prepare appropriate laboratory equipment, supplies and
chemicals for instruction.
- Ensure adherence to safe laboratory operations and
- Maintain an accurate inventory of laboratory supplies and order
- Work with students and faculty.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Sensitivity to and understanding of, the diverse academic,
socioeconomic, cultural, linguistic, ethnic backgrounds and
disabilities of community college students and staff.
- Potential exposure to potentially hazardous substances;
- Lift up to 40 pounds;
- Use a computer keyboard.
Electron Microscopy certificate (2 year program) and one (1) year
Completion of the twelfth grade or the equivalent and three (3)
years of responsible electron microscopy laboratory
Three (3) years of combined training and/or laboratory experience,
as outlined above.