The Education Department at the University of Virginia’s College at Wise (UVA Wise) in Wise, Virginia, invites applications for a full-time (9-month) tenure-track Assistant or Associate Professor of Early Childhood Education, starting Fall Semester 2023. This position supports the requirements needed in the department for students seeking a Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) endorsement in Early Childhood Education.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach 24 credits annually (in person and virtually) within the Education Department. Courses to be taught include but are not limited to:
- EDU 3601 Early Childhood: Growth and Development,
- EDU 3602 Early Childhood: Health, Wellness, and Assessments,
- EDU 3603 Early Childhood: Learning Environments,
- EDU 3604 Early Childhood: Relationships and Student Behaviors, and
- Assist in overseeing practicum and internships at the UVA Wise Little Cavalier Early Learning Center and public schools.
- Work with UVA Wise faculty in the continuing development, review, and management of the existing endorsement program, including scheduling, budgeting, equipment, and other areas as needed.
- Recruits and advises students.
- Conducts an active research/publication agenda.
- Collaborate with local childcare and early childhood professionals to foster strong community relationships.
- Perform campus-wide faculty duties, including holding office hours, attending department and other meetings, adhering to UVA Wise policies, serving on college committees, and performing service requirements of tenure-track faculty.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Doctorate degree (PhD or EdD) in Early Childhood Education or related field required. ABD will also be considered if the degree will be completed before August 2023.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience teaching in an appropriate, professional early childhood education setting, such as primary grades in public education, Head Start program, etc.
- Demonstrated ability in successful teaching. Finalists will be required to demonstrate competence through a teaching demonstration.
- Demonstrated expertise in early childhood education curriculum development (i.e., teacher-education curriculum and UVA Wise curriculum).
- Demonstrated ability and interest in creative, unique, and effective approaches to teaching.
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills, including the ability to work well with faculty, staff, and students both orally and in writing.
- Strong commitment to work collaboratively with UVA Wise partners in the community and other UVA Wise programs.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with college and public school colleagues within a diverse environment.
- Knowledge of applicable federal, state, county, and local laws, regulations, and requirements.
- Knowledge of the field of study.
- Knowledge of instructional techniques and practices in the field.
- Knowledge of UVA Wise policies and procedures.
- Ability to write reports and correspond professionally.
- Ability to organize and express ideas, directions, and data in a logical sequence to describe a process, or explain procedures such as how to perform a task to students.
- Ability to present materials effectively to individual students or groups.
- Ability to manage situations requiring tact, diplomacy, and discretion.
- Ability to work independently and meet specific timelines.
To apply please visit https://hr.virginia.edu/careers-uva/job-openings and complete a candidate profile, including a cover letter, current CV, statement of teaching philosophy, contact information for three references, and an unofficial copy of transcripts.
UVA Wise is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to excellence through diversity. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, military status, and family medical or genetic information.
Employee fulfills duties as a “responsible employee” under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972. A Responsible employee includes any employee: who has the authority to take action to redress sexual violence; who has been given the duty of reporting incidents of sexual violence or any other misconduct by students to the Title IX Coordinator or other appropriate school designee; or whom a student could reasonably believe has this authority or duty.
UVA Wise is committed to helping the campus community provide for their own safety and security. The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report containing information on campus security and personal safety, including alerts, fire safety, crime prevention tips, and crime statistics is available at www.uvawise.edu/ASR. A copy is available upon request by calling 276-328-0190 or 276-376-3451.
COVID Vaccination Requirement and Guidelines
Please visit the UVA COVID-19 Job Requirements and Guidelines webpage prior to applying for current information regarding vaccination requirements and guidelines for employment at UVA.