Campus Dining Services (CDS)
encourages applications for a
Chef de Cuisine
! This is a culinary leadership role, with
oversight of multiple restaurant concepts or areas within an
operation. In the absence of the Executive Chef, this position will
assume the duties and general supervision of the Executive Culinary
Team, conceptualize overall standards and procedures for unit of
oversight & Campus Dining Services, as well as formulate the
execution of menus and procedures in restaurant concepts, staff,
scheduling, hiring, and training. The position requires an
understanding of sourcing, procurement, food costs, pricing, labor
costs and maintains fiscal and operational feasibility as set by
the Associate Director of Culinary and Sr. Executive Chef.
Responsible for staff development and conflict resolution in their
area. This position will be required to place orders for their unit
or restaurant, and may be required to fill in for other management
in their absence. This position builds fresh, high quality and
on-trend menus for their restaurant or unit, including recipe
development. Additionally, this role will manage the culinary team,
determine break schedules, service quality, A9, food safety and
sustainability standards, all while offering excellent customer
service in a collaborative and supported environment.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
Campus Dining Services (CDS)
exists to provide 3.3 million
meals per year for the students, staff, faculty, and guests of the
university. Campus Dining Services is comprised of Residential
Dining Halls, Catering and Retail outlets that operate year-round.
Campus Dining leads the industry with outstanding quality food and
exceptional dining experiences. We continue to expand our
sustainability initiatives and reduce our carbon footprint in our
daily operations, including efforts in resource recovery,
conservation, and food sourcing. We are committed to providing
options and information to all of our guests with dietary
restrictions and allergens, including vegan, vegetarian, kosher,
and halal choices, supported by a strong allergen awareness program
called A9 ® Identified.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Kitchen Prep and Operation
- Designs all of menus in assigned area.
- Manages and orchestrates work flow of staff and production in
- Audits ParTech weekly reporting, as well as A9 labeling
practices in assigned restaurant/unit and takes corrective
- Resolves production issues.
- Monitors and reports on ingredient initiatives set by Executive
- Places orders and receives product.
- Forecast, set service menus, and record actuals in FSS.
- Other duties as assigned
- Displays and demonstrates excellent communication skills, and
mentors others to develop their own
- Ensures food security in location, common prep areas and buffet
- Ensures their kitchen operates efficiently and effectively,
meeting all quality standards.
- Serves on the food safety response team and responds to all
food safety emergencies as appropriate to the work assignment. If a
work cell phone is provided, a response call must be within an hour
of the original call and/or message.
What You Should Know
- Coordinates annual staff performance plans.
- Empowers others to make decision in areas within their span of
control, and participates in measures to increase empowerment
response rate and overall score.
- Develops training for Campus Dining Services. Holds others
accountable, following progressive discipline process.
- Discusses staff issues with Executive Culinary Team.
- Successfully passes ServSafe and offers tutoring assistance to
- Is responsible for and participates in any health inspection
audits, including annual County Health inspections. Schedules
student and full time staff.
What We Can Offer
- All University of Colorado Boulder employees are required to
comply with the campus COVID-19 vaccine
- New employees must provide proof of vaccination or receive a
medical or religious exemption within 30 days of employment.
The salary for this position is $52,400 annually.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental,
retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The
University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in
Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education
environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
Be creative. Be inspired. Be Boulder.
What We Require
What You Will Need
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and
experience may substitute.
- Servsafe certified and or certificate appropriate for the
position level or the ability to obtain Servsafe certification or
certificate appropriate to position level within 6 months of hire.
Must possess appropriate Servsafe certification or certificate
appropriate to position level for the duration of employment with
What We Would Like You To Have
- Ability to work in fast paced environment.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and conflict resolution
- Ability to work in a team driven inclusive environment.
- Attention to detail.
- 3 years of high volume university Catering or Residential
dining food service experience.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background
and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and
responsibilities of the position.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by November 30, 2022
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For
consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs
This position is designated “essential services.” The incumbent is
required to respond to requests for work during campus emergencies
(snow, wind, rain, flood and any other natural or man-made event)
and report to work for his / her regularly assigned shift during
emergency campus closures.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: