Get to Know American University
At American University we value open and honest inquiry, servant
leadership, and the affirmation of the human dignity of all. We
envision a thriving AU community where individuals of all
identities and experiences are understood, appreciated, and fully
included, and where equitable treatment, opportunities, and
Our diverse community of students, faculty, and staff represent
every state and more than 150 countries. Our internationally
recognized faculty are today's thought leaders in the areas of
public policy, law, the arts, communications, international
development, and more. Our staff are innovative, service-oriented,
and dedicated to moving the university towards achieving its
strategic goals. We are committed to an excellent experience for
all of our students, faculty and staff and share a passion for
creating change through our knowledge and our work.
Learn more about American University by clicking here .
Working under the supervision of the Manager of Grants &
Contracts Accounting, the Senior Accountant position will aid in
the management of federal and privately sponsored awards. This
includes performing and/or assisting in the review of budget data
for accuracy; creating and entering journal entries; establishing
awards in the financial system; preparing required sponsor forms
and invoices for approval, and the preparation of financial
analysis schedules required for audits.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Review and reconcile financial transactions and prepares
necessary corrections as needed. Work is reviewed and approved by
the Accounting Manager or a Senior Accountant.
- Prepares Federal and Non-Federal Financial Reports on a monthly
basis in accordance with the established policies and procedures,
and contractual requirements while also submitting invoices and
requesting reimbursement via the use of complicated Sponsor Cash
- Collaborates with unit personnel to resolve financial issues,
answers fiscal data inquiries from unit managers, research faculty,
sponsors, external sources, etc.
- Prepares assigned audit schedules, which may include the
Schedule of Federal Awards for the annual Single Audit, and
provides support for annual audits, desk reviews, and site visits
in accordance with instructions provided by the GCA management
- Directly supports Grants accountants on answering fiscal data
inquiries from unit managers, research faculty, sponsor funder,
external sources, etc.
- Special duties and projects as assigned by the GCA Director or
GCA Accounting Manager.
Required Education and Experience
- Full-Time / Hybrid position - 35 hours per week.
- Sr. Coordinator/Analyst A
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or related business field that
includes accounting coursework.
- 3-5 years of relevant experience.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Master's degree or equivalent.
- Skill using Microsoft Office suite including Outlook, Word,
PowerPoint, and Excel to develop briefings, presentations, and
reports, and to conduct analysis.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Knowledge of accounting principles, practices, and
- Knowledge of fiscal management/ accounting software
- Ability to enter, maintain, and compile accounting, budgetary,
fiscal, labor/ payroll and leave data.
- Must possess a basic understanding of accounting principles
such as debits, credits, revenue, and cash transactions.
- Works in a deadline-driven environment where the late filing of
reports could result in financial penalties.
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful
completion of a background check.
- To ensure the health and safety of our community AU requires
COVID-19 vaccinations for faculty and staff. Click here to learn
more about our health and safety directive.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or
contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or
responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time
with or without notice.
AU offers a competitive benefits package including a 200% matching
retirement plan, tuition benefits for full-time staff and their
families, several leadership development certificates, and has been
recognized by the American Heart Association as a fit-friendly
worksite.Click here to learn about American University's unique
benefit options .
Current American University Employees
If you are a current employee at American University, please log
intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU,
please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal
For more information or assistance with the American University
careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action
institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and
regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy),
age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal
appearance, gender identity and expression, family
responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran
status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases
under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its
programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: