Instructor - Maternity - College of Nursing
- Samuel Merritt University
- California, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Sep 27, 2022
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Health & Medicine, Nursing, Administrative, Academic Affairs, Distance Education Programs
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Job Description Summary:
This is an annualized position teaching maternity in our ABSN program located on our Oakland campus. In addition to teaching, you will be expected to engage in service. This position is open until filled. The position reports to the Pre-licensure Academic Director.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Major Areas of responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Creates a dynamic, learner-centered environment that uses a variety of teaching methods based on educational theory and evidence-based teaching and clinical practices that support the diverse learning needs of the student population.
- Models reflective and critical thinking and serves as a coach and mentor for students; confers with them on their progress and assists them in the development of learning plans to facilitate successful achievement of course objectives.
- Maintains and enhances competence in subjects being taught.
- Confers with colleagues to assure the integrity of the courses across programs and the curriculum as a whole.
- Prepares and reviews written examinations, papers, and student projects; supervises independent study projects as needed; and evaluates learner performance in both the classroom and clinical settings.
- Notifies Course Manager of at-risk students or unusual occurrences.
- Supervises or teaches clinical rotations as needed in acute, community and laboratory settings as well as internship/preceptorship courses.
- Documents student progress on appropriate forms.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Participate in Faculty Organization meetings
- Participate in College of Nursing Faculty meetings
- Participate in University or College committees as needed
- Provide service to the profession and the community
- Participate in University and CoN events as specified in University and CoN attendance expectations.
- Clarify with the student the nursing curriculum and interpretation of programmatic requirements
- Provide needed information so students can make the best academic decisions for themselves
- Increase student awareness of educational resources available
- Discuss student academic progress and progression toward educational goals
- Refer to other institutional and community support services, where appropriate
- Forward appropriate student information regarding needs and preferences that could influence policy setting in the CoN and enhance the learning environment.
Minimum Qualifications & Requirements
Education & Experience
- Earned Master’s in nursing required, doctorate in nursing or a related field from an accredited institution of higher learning, preferred
- Teaching experience of diverse students at the baccalaureate or higher degree level, preferred
- Unencumbered California registered nurse license or eligible for licensure in California, required
- Experience working with leadership in healthcare and academic institutions and community organizations, preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Read and write clear documents
- Function effectively as a member of a team and independently
- Express or exchange ideas by means of the spoken word in person or on the telephone.
- Receive detailed information through verbal and written communication.
- Read and write clear documents.
- Have a strong commitment to the caring science principles and mindfulness-based stress reduction practices central to the culture and expected outcomes of the program.
- Model appropriate ethical and professional behaviors, as well as expert communication skills.
- Embrace mission, vision, and values of the program, college of nursing, and university.
- Have a clear vision for aligning the safety and quality with student learning activities
United States of America (Exempt)
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert