Job Description Summary:
Samuel Merritt University seeks an energetic and innovative
professional to lead its Office of University Marketing and
Communications. Reporting to the Vice President of Advancement and
Communications (VPAC), the Executive Director of University
Marketing and Communications (EDUMC) will develop and implement a
comprehensive and integrated marketing/communications strategy,
manage internal and external communications and public relations in
support of the institution while enhancing the image of the
University. The position will concentrate on strategic
institutional communications, University-wide broad based marketing
and brand development, develop strong local and regional media
relationships, promote community engagement, and develop and lead a
team of marketing and communications professionals.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Work with members of the senior leadership team, deans, faculty,
staff, and students to develop and produce effective print and
digital communications materials.
2. Identify, develop, and manage a strategic, internal and external
communication plan for the University that can be measured for
effectiveness and impact.
3. Develop written communications, messaging, and content for the
President of the University and advise executive leadership team on
internal and external communications strategies including crisis
4. Serve as the strategic and creative leader of University
marketing campaigns including:
- Develop a marketing resource plan for the University
- Develop a University brand awareness campaign to maximize
- Working with the VPAC, develop and implement a comprehensive
marketing plan for fundraising capital campaign (public launch in
- Develop and implement a comprehensive plan to enhance overall
awareness and stature of Samuel Merritt University including
macro-institutional messaging and advertising as well as increased
local, regional and national media coverage
- Serve in a support/collaborative role for academic program
marketing and recruitment. Academic program marketing is a joint
University venture led by the VPs of Academic Affairs, Student
Affairs, University Advancement/Communications and Business
Affairs. The EDUMC will play a critical role in fostering
collaboration across divisions to successfully market and promote
academic programs and student recruitment initiatives.
- Serve as the institution's official communications liaison
between the University, the media, and all other external
- Develop measurable short- and long-term goals and outcomes for
the University Marketing and Communications program.
- Responsible for all aspects of budget oversight for all staff
and programs in the department of University Marketing and
- Work with current members of the communications and marketing
team to review and assess the current organizational structure of
the department and develop a personnel resource plan that will
maximize productivity and impact, including evaluation, promotion
and role creation/clarification for all staff.
- Serve on appropriate University advisory and search
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Vice President of
Advancement and Communications.
- Responsible for Communications and Marketing budget only,
correct? Also, reports to VP of Advancement and
United States of America (Exempt)