Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS), southeastern Virginia’s premier institution for medical education and research, is seeking an accomplished academic leader to serve as the Chairperson -Department of OB/GYN. Located in the port city of Norfolk, VA, and serving the broad area of coastal Virginia known as Hampton Roads , EVMS is a diverse and dynamic medical school holding an honored position in American history as one of the only schools of medicine and health professions founded by a community grassroots effort. Today the community-based medical school consists of more than 1,400 students enrolled in 21 programs and provides graduate medical education in 15 residency programs and 25 fellowships. The Department of OB/GYN is comprised of 30 full time faculty and 209 supporting staff, who work closely with over 100 community faculty and our major hospital partner Sentara Health Care to meet its academic missions in undergraduate medical education, resident and fellowship training, research and patient care. Under Dr. Abuhamad’s leadership, who now serves as President, Provost and Dean of EVMS, the department has built a strong academic focus in maternal-fetal medicine (MFM) with fellowship programs in MFM, Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery and Reproductive Endocrinology supported by NIH funding and collaborative research programs in Women’s Health with NIH funded faculty in the Basic Sciences.
- Transformational leadership role – we are seeking a growth-mindset academic leader to continue to advance and elevate the Department of OB/GYN in its clinical, educational, research, and service missions
- Join one of the most diverse medical schools in the country with a deeply rooted commitment to community service and diversity, equity & inclusion
- Enhance the schools current translational research programs in Women health, and foster the creation of a Women’s Health Research Institute
- Support from the institution and community stakeholders to expand the Department’s reach across the region
- Competitive package and resources available to support the incoming Chair’s success
- MD/DO degree or equivalent
- Eligible for unrestricted medical licensure in the state of Virginia
- Board certification in OB/GYN and appropriate sub-specialties, as relevant
- Programmatic development experience, operational leadership skills, and strong business acumen
- Documented academic leadership experience such as Division Chief or previous Chair of OB/GYN
- Significant track record in building multi-collaborative research programs
- National recognition in OB/GYN with a distinguished career as a scholar, educator, and clinician.
For more information and to apply, please visit the https://www.evms.edu/about_evms/administrative_offices/human_resources/
EVMS is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer of minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and is a drug and tobacco free workplace. EVMS is a certified employer of the Virginia Values Veterans (V3) Program.