Point Loma Nazarene University
PLNU is a Christian liberal arts university in the evangelical, Wesleyan tradition, offering quality undergraduate, graduate and professional programs. We provide higher education in a vibrant Christian environment where minds are engaged and challenged, character is modeled and formed, and service is an expression of faith. PLNU is an institution that is committed to reflecting the rich diversity of God’s kingdom. We therefore encourage applications from culturally and academically diverse faculty of the highest caliber, skilled and/or demonstrating great potential in the practice of teaching and scholarship.
Fermanian School of Business
The Fermanian School of Business (FSB) is an ACBSP accredited “Best Practice” school with approximately 900 students across traditional undergraduate degrees in business, and graduate and adult undergraduate degrees in both business and leadership. Specifically, traditional undergraduate majors in management, marketing, accounting, finance, information systems, and international development are offered. The FSB also offers an evening MBA program for experienced professionals, a daytime MBA program for recent graduates, and both online and face-to-face Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership (MAOL) degrees. In addition, the FSB offers both online Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) and Bachelor of Arts in Organizational Leadership (BAOL) degrees, and partners with local community colleges to offer face-to-face 2+2 BBA and BAOL degrees.
Responsibilities of the Dean of the Fermanian School of Business
The Dean will provide leadership and vision for the academic and administration functions of the Fermanian School of Business (FSB), and is expected to continue the business school’s successful momentum, growth, and excellence. Primary responsibilities of the Dean of the FSB include:
- Articulates and implements the mission and vision of the Fermanian School of Business, and ensures alignment with the Point Loma Nazarene University (PLNU) mission and vision.
- Leads the faculty in the development and execution of strategic and operating plans consistent with the FSB mission, vision and values.
- Serves as a strong external and internal advocate for the FSB, its faculty, staff, and students.
- Provides leadership for all academic activities of the FSB, ensuring excellence in teaching, scholarship, and service, while creating positive and effective student experiences.
- Plans, implements, and maintains ACBSP accreditation, and sustains effective working relationships with ACBSP leadership and staff.
- Directs the recruitment and development of a diverse faculty body, and recommends faculty for promotion and tenure.
- Pursues opportunities to motivate, empower and mentor others. Communicates information, expectations, and ideas effectively, and continuously seeks out and incorporates input from others.
- Makes timely data driven decisions to improve academic programs and student experiences.
- Develops relationships with FSB stakeholders and connects PLNU and the FSB to community members and business leaders to pursue mutually beneficial opportunities.
- Maintains awareness of required marketplace knowledge, skills and abilities in order to direct program development and curriculum changes.
- Ensures continuous improvement across graduate, traditional and non-traditional undergraduate business and leadership curriculum and co-curricular activities, based upon assessment and outcome measures and stakeholder feedback.
- Develops the annual FSB academic schedule to meet the needs of students across all FSB programs and delivery methods.
- Identifies academic and co-curricular opportunities through the collaboration with other academic leaders and faculty across PLNU colleges, schools and departments.
- Works with PLNU Advancement to develop and secure financial resources through development initiatives and activities.
- Collaborates with PLNU Graduate and Professional Studies Admissions and Student Success, and PLNU Undergraduate Admissions, to meet and exceed student enrollment, retention and progression toward degree goals.
- Ensures the effective management of fiscal resources, including the development and management of annual program budgets.
- Understands the value of a liberal arts education.
- An earned doctorate from an accredited university within one of FSB’s areas of responsibility.
- A distinguished and significant record of leadership experience in higher education.
- An active and maturing faith in Jesus Christ, and a commitment to PLNU as an intentional Christian community in the Wesleyan tradition.
- A distinguished record as a teacher within the candidate’s discipline.
- A strong commitment to faculty/staff development.
- A deep commitment to diversity among students, faculty and staff.
- A demonstrated high level of integrity, organizational skills, communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Expertise and experience with current ACBSP standards and accreditation practices.
- Evidence of experience in strategic planning, budget management, human resource management, student enrollment, and retention.
- Evidence of experience in traditional and non traditional, undergraduate, and graduate delivered via face to face and online modalities.
- A record of program development, launch, management, growth, and excellence.
- A record of developing and fostering collaborative relationships with faculty, administrators, staff, students, alumni, community, and business leaders.
- Experience facilitating quality teaching and learning, including high-caliber face-to-face and online course instructional design.
- Experience in developing and leading nontraditional education curriculums and programs.
To access the online application, please go to http://www.pointloma.edu/jobs. If you have questions about the position, you may contact the Vice Provost, Dr. Jim Daichendt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
At the time of completing the application, you will need the following documents to upload:
- Letter of Application that addresses the responsibilities and qualifications of the position
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Personal Faith
- Philosophy of Teaching in Christian Higher Education
Additional information may be requested upon receipt of the application.