Part-Time Biology Instructor (Pool)
West Valley-Mission Community College District
PART-TIME, ASSOCIATE FACULTY POOL
Applications for Part-Time, Associate Faculty pools are continually
accepted (unless otherwise specified) by the District and will be
added to the application pool for review by hiring authorities on
an as-needed basis. Should you be invited for an interview, you
will be contacted by a District representative.
This position is a part-time position as an Associate Instructor.
The Biology department is looking for qualified instructors with
the ability to teach general biology as well as specialized courses
in biology. The primary desired qualifications emphasize the
ability to teach introductory biology / general biology classes.
Additional desired qualifications include the ability to teach
specialized courses including biotechnology, human anatomy, human
physiology and/or microbiology. The teaching assignment may require
teaching lecture-discussion courses during day, evening or on
Saturday and/or in an on-line/distance education format. The
assignments are as needed, during Spring, Summer, and/or Fall
semesters. This position is represented by the West Valley-Mission
Federation of Teachers (WVMFT / AFT Local 6554).
Work location: West Valley College, Saratoga, CA
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is based on a percentage of workload, up to a maximum of 67%
of a full-time load. Salary is prorated based on an initial hiring
salary range of $25,815-$30,661 per semester; and is based on
academic achievement, teaching and related experience.
1. Education - Possess any one of the following:
- Master’s degree in any biological science; OR
- Bachelor’s degree in any biological science AND master’s degree
in biochemistry, biophysics, or marine science; OR
- A valid California Community College Instructor’s Credential in
- The equivalent of the above.
2. Demonstrated ability to effectively work with persons of diverse
socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
Instructional duties and assignments may consist of one or more of
For more information on this position and to apply, please visit
our website at the following link: wvm.peopleadmin.com
- Provide instruction for assigned courses. This includes
preparation for in-class or on-line/distance education activities,
evaluation of students’ work, consultation with students outside of
class and/or on-line, maintenance of currency in the subjects
- Maintain accurate class and other records required by the
- Submit, when due, attendance rosters and grade reports.
- Follow course outlines as filed in the instruction
- Maintain office hours each week, at .5 hours per week per
- Observe, support and enforce the regulations, policies and
programs of the District and college.
- Provide each student with a written course syllabus at the
beginning of the course, as per instructions in the Faculty
- Refer students to appropriate college sources for information
on counseling and other student services.
- Assist students by providing advice on requirements for
successful achievement in the members’ area of expertise.
- Work cooperatively within the college community.
- Foster an environment that protects academic freedom within the
- Foster a positive working environment that is free from
harassment, prejudice and/or bias.
- Demonstrate a respect for the dignity of each individual.
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to
complete the application, testing or interview process, please
contact Human Resources at (408) 741-2174 to arrange for
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal