Washburn Institute of
seeks applications for an Adult Education
Coordinator/Instructor for the Advantage Center Adult Education
Program at Washburn Tech during the 2022-2023 school
year. This is a grant-funded full-time, 12-month position with
benefits. On-going employment will depend on continued grant
funding and satisfactory performance.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Professional experience teaching adults
- Master's Degree in Education, Developmental Education, Math,
English, English as a Second Language, Science or Social
- Adult Basic Education experience
- Experience with ESL
- Experience with College and Career Readiness Standards
- Experience with AO-K
The Technical Instructor position consists of four essential
functions: teaching, service, collegiality, and professional
- Manage the daily operations of the Adult Education program,
supervise and evaluate the instructional and support staff working
in the program.
- Provide English as a Second Language/General Education Diploma
(ESL/GED) preparation and basic skills instruction. Design,
implement and oversee the course content to ensure instructors are
teaching the required curriculum for ESL/GED and the College Career
and Readiness Standards for Adult
- Provide instruction in math, reading, writing, science and
social studies and contextualized instruction in Career Technical
Education (CTE) classrooms as needed.
- Work closely with all other staff to coordinate service
delivery and program design for the Accelerated Opportunity for
Kansans (AO-K) pathways.
- Collect and analyze student performance data, evaluate student
learning and adjust curriculum as needed with the Director of the
Adult Education Program.
- Work with students, as needed, to learn technical vocabulary,
computer skills, teamwork skills and soft skills that will assist
them in obtaining and retaining employment.
- Assist with completing and submitting required program reports
due to the Kansas Board of Regents.
- Ensure student records are adequately maintained and oversee
the data entry and
- generation for the Adult Education program using AESIS, the
KBOR computer system for Adult
- Will be part of the grant writing process when it is time for
the new RFP and also work on the continuing funding application
each year with the Grants facilitator and the Director Adult
- Develop assignments for the classroom and lab/shop if
applicable, and attend all class meetings.
- Enforce policies for safety and the use of personal protective
equipment for all individuals in the lab/shop environment.
- Evaluate student work, provide feedback to students, and assign
grades. Share (as appropriate) information with the Student
Services and Dean's offices; and use the University's Learning
Management System to track grades as required.
- Attend all Kansas Board of Regents (KBOR) Adult Education
- Act in a manner that promotes collegial relationships and shows
respect toward students, staff, and colleagues.
- Participate in graduation ceremonies and other ceremonial
events as pertains to the department.
- Complete mandatory trainings offered through Kansas Board of
- Seek opportunities for professional development or advancement
of educational degrees.
- Participate in recruitment and orientation efforts as
- Stay abreast of innovations and developments in the
professional field and take advantage of the University's
instructional support programs.
- Participate in college-wide staff development days,
departmental meetings and fulfill committee
- Adhere to college and University policies and perform
additional job-related duties as assigned or as appropriate.
- This position will require some evenings and possible
Application review will begin immediately and continue until the
position is filled. To apply submit a letter of interest, resume,
copies of transcripts, copies of current credentials, and the names
and contact information of three professional references to
. Please use “Tech Instructor/Adult Education Coordinator” in the
subject line. The successful candidate will be required to submit
to a background check prior to hire. Official transcripts are
required once hired.
Washburn is an EOE and is dedicated to providing a student-centered
and teaching-focused academic and work environment. We seek
candidates who are committed to Washburn's efforts to create a
campus climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse
student body, and we encourage applications from members of groups
that have been historically underrepresented and/or marginalized in
Washburn University provides equal access to and opportunity in its
programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color,
religion, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status,
or marital or parental status.