The University of Colorado Boulder
is searching for an
Assistant Manager of Sales Floor and Retail
This position functions to assist in the
management of store operations at the CU Bookstore.
Responsibilities include inventory and asset control, management of
safety and security issues, and assisting with the daily management
of the store. This role will ensure the safety and security of
customers and employees in the Store by conforming to University
safety guidelines and protocols, as well as providing education of
these standards to all employees. The position will also assist in
the daily management of the sales floor staff, serving as a Manager
on Duty when on rotation.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The CU Book Store offers a convenient place for students to prepare
for their academic endeavors. The store offers academic course
materials, and school supplies for all students, faculty and staff.
We also provide logoed gear for all patrons and visitors of the
university. By offering innovative services and customer centric
culture, the Store strives to provide a welcoming environment for
all members of the campus community, as well as the Boulder
Community at large.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Sales Floor Assistant Manager:
Assist in Maintenance and Project Management:
- Assist store manager in the daily operations of the sales
- Assist customers as needed by providing outstanding customer
service. Promote positive customer interaction from student
employees and foster an environment where solid work ethic
- Provide support to student employees when manager assistance is
- Be knowledgeable of point of sale and ERP software and assist
customers and employees as needed. Handle complex customer service
issues that arise, and problem solve according to store
- Assist in training student employees to improve customer
service standards and work with student staff to ensure adequate
staffing at all times and that employees are performing at their
best. Engage in activities that promote employee engagement and
- Act as an opening or closing manager for the sales floor, as
part of a rotation of managers, including some weekends, and
occasional late nights.
- Collaborate around other Bookstore processes to ensure that
services provided to all customers are flawless and without
Inventory Control and Asset Management:
- Report general maintenance issues to appropriate parties.
Follow up on completion of maintenance projects.
- Communicate potential impacts of ongoing maintenance or
construction projects to the CUBS Staff and employees. Assist in
planning of Book Store projects.
- Attend monthly walk through with UMC Maintenance staff.
- Assist in and set up Store access request to third party
- Submit vital request for maintenance work to the appropriate
- Maintain communication with custodial providers, to schedule
store cleanings around store hours.
Safety and Security Control:
- Oversee GM inventory control through cycle counts. Connect with
buyers team to investigate inventory discrepancies.
- Audit stock transfer to/from CUBS warehouse. Use (ERP) NetSuite
to check for accuracy of inventory transfers.
- Assist buyers team and accounting department in coordination,
planning, and completion of annual general merchandise inventory,
and textbook inventory.
- Monitor location and supply of non-inventory store assets i.e.
retail fixtures and equipment. Make appropriate request for
re-supply when needed.
What You Should Know
- Develop protocols and training to ensure all employees and
customers are in compliance with the safety guideline specified by
local, federal, and university guidelines. Inform employees of all
changes to standards and provide training for all changes.
- Care and design of Comprehensive Camera System which provides
closed circuit television monitoring.
- Process shoplifters according to parameters set by CU Bookstore
Leadership, Office of Student Conduct, and/or Local Law
Enforcement. Work with Office of Student conduct and Restorative
Justice when necessary.
- Manage a system of reporting for employees to report possible
theft. Follow-up on and investigate reports of thefts or suspicious
behavior and relay information to appropriate authorities.
- Serve as liaison with Access Services to ensure store locks and
keys are accounted for and maintained.
- Oversee the ID card access systems for exterior doors. Maintain
the appropriate access to Book Store employees.
- Maintain access codes to Safe Systems security systems. Serve
as primary contact for Safe Systems alarm protocols.
What We Can Offer
- All University of Colorado Boulder employees are required to
comply with the campus
COVID-19 vaccine requirement. New employees must provide proof
of vaccination or receive a medical or religious exemption within
30 days of employment.
- This position will follow retail open hours; typically
Monday-Friday, and may include weekend hours; hours will vary; some
nights may be scheduled based on the needs of the business.
- This is a full-time, in person position.
- The salary range for this position is $57,000 - $62,000 per
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental,
retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The
University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in
Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education
environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
Be collaborative. Be dynamic. Be Boulder.
What We Require
What You Will Need
- Bachelor's Degree, or equivalent combination of education and
- 3 years of retail/customer service experience.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Proven understanding of MS Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Strong customer service skills, social skills and time
- Problem solving skills.
- Experience with NetSuite or other point of Sale software.
- Experience with Security and Monitoring systems (Milestone
- Experience in Project management.
- Previous supervisory or leadership experience.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background
and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and
responsibilities of the position.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by October 9, 2022, for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For
consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: