Definition of Class
This position participates in the implementation of communication
efforts to raise public awareness of, understanding of, and
appreciation for The University of Mississippi and/or departmental
interests. The incumbent contributes to the production and
dissemination of information to internal and external
Examples of Work Performed
- Works in collaboration with others to establish the needs,
schedule, and deadlines for communication projects.
- Assists in the timely, accurate, and effective production and
dissemination of printed and electronic information to internal and
- Develops original news and feature stories to generate support
for the University and/or departmental interests.
- Develops text for a wide range of publications, advertising
copy, news releases, brochures, capital campaign communications,
and/or other presentations.
- Produces specialized editorial content for major gift
announcements, special projects, and publications, and web sites.
Coordinates additional editorial content (photo, video, graphics,
etc.) to support written stories.
- Applies strategic communications approaches to achieve
respective individual and departmental goals.
- Works to identify new, innovative storytelling platforms that
can help share the University’s story to broader audiences.
- Builds partnerships with other schools, colleges and
departments across campus to effectively tell those stories to
internal and external audiences.
- Performs similar or related duties as assigned or
These essential functions include, but are not limited to, the
following. Additional essential functions may be identified and
included by the hiring department.
- Participates in the implementation of a full-service
- Contributes to the production and dissemination of information
and materials to internal and external audiences.
- Interfaces with administrators, faculty, and staff to generate
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year college or
university in Journalism, Communications, English or a related
Three (3) years of experience related to the above described
Related experience may be substituted for education, on a basis set
forth and approved by the Department of Human Resources.
To learn more about our pay structure and view our salary ranges,
to visit the Compensation page of our Human Resources
website. This link is provided for general pay information. Hourly
rate or salary may vary depending on qualifications, experience,
and departmental budget. Note: Unclassified positions (faculty,
executives, researchers and coaches) do not have established salary
The University of Mississippi provides equal opportunity in any
employment practice, education program, or education activity to
all qualified persons. The University complies with all applicable
laws regarding equal opportunity and affirmative action and does
not unlawfully discriminate against any employee or applicant for
employment based upon race, color, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, citizenship,
national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetic
Background Check Statement
The University of Mississippi is committed to providing a safe
campus community. UM conducts background investigations for
applicants being considered for employment. Background
investigations include a criminal history record check, and when
appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history