The David Geffen School of Medicine (DGSOM) at UCLA ranks among the nation's elite medical schools, producing doctors and researchers whose contributions have led to major breakthroughs in healthcare. With more than 2,500 full-time faculty members, nearly 1,021 residents, about 720 medical students and more than 400 Ph.D. scholars, the medical school ranks 2nd among the top-funded research institutions by the National Institutes of Health and 3rd in the United States in research dollars overall.
DGSOM seeks to hire a Controller. Reporting directly to the Executive Director of Finance, the Controller serves in a key leadership role in the financial administration of the DGSOM, a complex organization comprised of 24 academic departments, 5 organized research units, and 5 interdisciplinary research centers. The DGSOM’s annual revenue totals approximately $2B, its expendable net assets approx. $500M and its endowments and quasi endowments approximately $1.5B.
The Controller ensures compliance with regulatory agencies, develops and implements internal controls to maintain the financial integrity of the School’s practices and adherence to GAAP, GASB, NACUBO and SAS guidelines. Actively participate in various process improvement initiatives and special projects as needed. The Controller is expected to manage and develop a highly effective organization staffed with skilled individuals working in collaboration to produce work of the highest standard.
- Bachelors and/or Masters Degree in Business Administration with an emphasis in accounting
- C.P.A. is highly preferred
- 7+ years experience in the accounting and finance sector
- 5+ years experience managing accountants and the accounting and finance process
- “Big Four” or national accounting firm audit experience is preferred but not required
- Strong accounting experience in higher education or a comparable non-profit fund accounting environment is highly preferred
- Strong analytical and creative problem solving skills with a desire to understand the issues
- Excellent understanding of GAAP, GASB and SAS 115
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills and ability to develop and maintain excellent working relationships with stakeholders at all levels of the organization
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal and presentation)
- Demonstrated experience as an effective team leader
- High level of ethics, integrity, discretion and confidentiality, understands the ethical standards of the CPA
UCLA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.