About Unity College:
For more than fifty years, Unity College has been preparing the
next generation of environmental professionals and leaders to
successfully face real-world challenges. With environmentally
focused degrees, Unity College offers affordable and accessible
bachelors degrees, masters degrees, certificates, and non-degree
courses through a variety of modalities including hybrid,
in-person, hyflex, and online.
Through the framework of sustainability science, Unity College
provides a liberal arts education that emphasizes the environment
and natural resources. Through experiential and collaborative
learning, our graduates emerge as responsible citizens,
environmental stewards, and visionary leaders.
The Distance Education Office Manager will organize and coordinate
the daily running and procedures of the Distance Education offices
in order to ensure organizational effectiveness, efficiency and
safety. The Office Manager is responsible for streamlining
administrative procedures, will provide back up support to the
Operations Manager for budget and purchase orders, will schedule
meetings, manage the conference room, place orders, manage office
supplies, maintain office equipment, handle mailings, greet and
direct visitors, receive incoming phone calls, work with outside
vendors, and other various taskings related to the office space and
facilities. This position is also responsible for arranging
internal office moves, internal meetings, taking minutes, and
The Distance Education Office Manager supports the Operations
Manager directly and administrative staff as necessary. This
position requires a proactive and energetic professional who does
not mind wearing multiple hats and is experienced in handling a
wide range of administrative and executive-support related tasks
while being able to work independently with little or no
supervision. The Distance Education Office Manager needs to be well
organized, flexible and enjoy the administrative challenges of
supporting an office of diverse people and changing tasks.
Full job description provided at time of interview.
- Creates and maintains interrelated administrative,
confidential, and legal filing systems and records, including, but
not limited to, historical and legal records of the SEBU,
correspondence, student, faculty, and vendor correspondence.
- Prepares correspondence for Distance Education by composing
letters and/or memos; taking minutes as needed; sets up travel
arrangements; and reconciles expense reports as needed.
- Manages relationships with vendors, service providers and the
landlord, ensuring that all items are invoiced and paid on
- Maintains confidentiality and exercises discretion with private
and/or sensitive information.
- Prioritizes conflicting needs; handles matters expeditiously,
proactively, and follows through on projects to successful
- Performs a wide range of advanced clerical duties related to
the operation of the office; serves in a liaison and/or resource
capacity on projects and assignments; reviews and approves office
- Organizes and maintains Distance Education policies and
- Provides liaison functions between staff at all levels, and
members of the public who contact the office.
- Point person for maintenance, mailing, shipping, supplies,
equipment, and errands; schedules meetings and conferences, sets up
- Supervises the maintenance and alteration of office areas and
equipment, as well as layout, arrangement, and housekeeping of
- Supervises the maintenance of office equipment, including
copier, standing desks, fax, etc.
- Responsible for the facilities day-to-day operations (such as
distributing building access keys, etc.).
- Participates as needed in recruitment and retention efforts or
- Pro-actively communicate challenges, successes, and failures
- Other duties as assigned.
Work Schedule / Availability Requirements
- Bachelors degree and four years of experience in performing
professional level work in the field. Acceptable is an equivalent
combination of education and qualifying professional experience
that would provide the skills, knowledge, and ability needed to
fulfill the duties assigned to the position.
- Knowledge of modern executive office management, practices
procedures and equipment.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
- Must exhibit enthusiastic support or passion for the
environmental mission of the College.
- Ability to embody both internal and external marketing and
communications and conduct self professionally.
- Ability to prepare and maintain accurate and complete records
- Ability to interpret and apply a variety of rules, regulations,
statutes, policies, and procedures relating to the Distance
- Ability to maintain the highest confidentiality of information
- Team player with the ability to establish and maintain
cooperative working relationships with coworkers, staff, faculty,
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretion analyzing and
resolving confidential, difficult, and sensitive situations.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in
- Knowledge of and proficiency in the utilization of standard
office productivity software programs (e.g., MS Word, Excel,
Access, PowerPoint, email), personal computers, and the
- Understanding of, and sensitivity to and respect for the
diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic
backgrounds of Unity Colleges students, faculty, staff, and
- Ability to function effectively within a matrix organizational
structure, maintaining open lines of communication while being
discreet, courteous, and well poised.
Work hours are specific to the requirements of this position and
can include days, evenings, and weekends. Working extended hours
required as needed. Must be flexible and cooperative in fulfilling
responsibilities and meeting the Colleges needs. Although Unity
College employees are generally scheduled to work at their
specifically assigned locations, there are times when travel is
necessary and employees are required from time to time to attend
events, meetings or work temporary assignment at any Unity College
While performing the duties of this job, it is regularly required
to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to
stand or walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up
to 25 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include
close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception,
and the ability to adjust focus. The use of either hand for
repetitive movements such as grasping, grasping and turning, and
fine manipulation is required as is the ability to use the
telephone for internal and external communications.
Location: Pineland Farms, New Gloucester, Maine
Just a half hour from Portland, Unity College Headquarters, Unity
College Distance Education, The Technical School for Environmental
Professions (opening in 2022), and the School of Environmental
Business & Sustainable Ventures are based at the Pineland Farms
campus. The facilities are within easy access to one of the
fastest-growing cities for startups in the country.
Unity College offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation
and benefits package for its faculty and staff. Benefits for
eligible employees include:
- Paid holidays
- Paid time off
- Short- and Long-term disability
- Life Insurance