The Entrepreneur-In-Residence (EIR) is responsible for mentoring
student startups, serving as a coach for students while they make
day-to-day decisions about their businesses. The EIR trains
students on how to develop successful business models and raise
capital for their new businesses.
Florida Gulf Coast University is committed to establishing and
maintaining an inclusive working and learning environment in which
students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social
activities, governance, and all other aspects of the campus life
reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international
At FGCU, we collectively stand against any individual or group that
practices any form of racism, discrimination, intolerance, hate
expressions, or disrespect. We are committed to preparing students
to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in an inherently
diverse country and world made up of people with different ethnic
and racial backgrounds, religious beliefs, abilities, ages, gender
identities, sexual orientations, socio-economic status, cultural
traditions, family statuses, and military backgrounds. FGCU strives
to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just
because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our
University stronger. The University community recognizes the
importance of a diverse and inclusive institution and holds these
ideals as paramount for the current and future success of the
We seek colleagues who promote and embrace diversity, equity, and
inclusion. We encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to
apply for this position as we believe that our University will grow
and move forward through a commitment of equality for all.
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
- Assists in the operations of the FineMark Business Incubator
and the entrepreneurial training programs offered by the Rist
Family Foundation Institute for Entrepreneurship
- Consults with students on startup issues such as R&D,
strategic marketing, customer development, business development,
and venture capital funding and strategic partnering.
- Establishes a network of experienced entrepreneurs and
investors that are good candidates for future support and
interaction with the IFE.
- Supports efforts to drive awareness of the Runway Program and
other Institute programs to the FGCU community.
- Collects and analyzes data on activities and events to assess
and report on program participation and effectiveness.
- Attends various events within the business community to promote
the Institute and identify opportunities for collaboration.
Additional Job Description
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Serves on institutional committees representing the interests
of the department.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Business
Administration, Management, Marketing, Leadership &
Entrepreneurship, or a closely related field.
- Five years professional, full-time of experience growing
startup businesses or teams within any organization.
- Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience,
and/or certifications may be considered.
- Experience in raising capital for startup businesses or funding
growth opportunities within any organization.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Earned hours or enrolled in a Master’s degree from an
accredited institution in Business Administration, Management,
Marketing, Leadership & Entrepreneurship, or a closely related
- Maintains professional contacts in the business, technology, or
investment community in Southwest Florida and/or throughout the
- Experience working with educational institutions.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws, statutes,
regulations, codes, and standards related to the area of
- Knowledge of business and management principles with emphasis
on R&D, strategic marketing, business development, and venture
- Knowledge and proficiency with personal computers and Microsoft
Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication
- Strong understanding of mobile and internet technologies and
- Skill in talking to others to convey information
- Strong organizational skills and an ability to prioritize and
complete simultaneous projects.
- Demonstrated skill as a self-starter with a strong drive to
- Ability to apply the Lean Startup Method and Business Model
- Ability to compile, organize, interpret, and communicate data
and results in a concise format.
- Ability to thrive in an organization that values the diversity
of its student body and workforce and actively promotes equity and
Salary Pay Grade: 17
FGCU is an EOE AA /F/Vet/Disability Employer.