The School of Dentistry, Office of the Dean is seeking a Program Specialist who will be responsible for the day-to-day administrative functions of the School of Dentistry Faculty Appointment, Promotion, and Tenure (APT) operations and day-to-day functions as the principal staff member to the Chief of Staff. The selected candidate will also be the Liaison between the Chief of Staff and various constituencies.
Duties include the development and oversight of specific procedures for operations, responsibility for procurement and supply of materials related to APT, as well as faculty hiring. Oversees administrative staff to assure faculty APT documents are complete and compliant.
The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) offers a comprehensive benefits package that prioritizes wellness, work/life balance, and professional development. Exempt regular staff receive a generous leave package that includes over 4 weeks of vacation accrued each year, paid holidays, unlimited accrual of sick time, and comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; professional learning and development programs; tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any University System of Maryland school; and flexible work schedules and teleworking options (if applicable per job).
This position is eligible to work a partial remote schedule in accordance with UMB policy on telework.
UMB employees are strongly encouraged to follow all CDC recommendations related to COVID-19 vaccinations and booster doses. Employees whose job duties require them to work in clinical settings or at clinical or field sites continue to be subject to the vaccine requirements of those sites. For additional information on protocols and exemptions, please visit the COVID-19 website.
- Monitor and organize all materials from the School of Dentistry’s Appointment, Promotions and Tenure Committee meetings. Interpret materials and prepare reports for members, Chief of Staff, and the Dean including but not limited to preparing reports and tracking data for all faculty hiring and promotions; preparing annual report for School of Dentistry’s Faculty Assembly.
- Analyze and recommend changes to current school policies and procedures for Appointment, Promotion and Tenure of faculty.
- Ensure completion and appropriate submission of documentation for compliance with school and campus APT policies.
- Work closely with the Campus Office of Academic Affairs in assuring documents pertaining to Faculty Appointments, Promotion and Tenure are submitted properly and are in compliance.
- Represent the School and advise units and Chief of Staff regarding initiation of changes. Direct School of Dentistry Department Administrative Representatives in assuring all faculty appointments, promotions and tenure policies are followed properly.
- Assist School of Dentistry’s Department Chairs and Search Committees for recruitment and hiring of Faculty, including, but not limited to the preparation of materials for credentialing, requesting background checks, and scheduling interviews.
- Oversee the tracking of expenditures needing approval by the Chief of Staff and reconcile budget accounts.
Qualifications Education: Bachelor’s degree in related field.
Experience: Two (2) years of administrative/program coordinator experience.
Other: Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of best practices in office systems and procedures and, where appropriate, principles of supervision.
- Skill in planning work and directing/influencing others.
- Skill in organizing and executing multiple assignments under specific time constraints.
- Skill in applying analytical techniques to review expenditures and revenues, prepare forecasts and reconcile accounts
- Skill in communicating efficiently and effectively both orally and in writing with a variety of people both internally and externally.
- Skill in continuously seeking to improve the quality of services and processes.
- Skill in relevant PC applications.
Hiring Range: $54,000 - $60,000, commensurate with education and experience.
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy.