THE COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING & COMPUTER SCIENCE
VinUniversity offers competitive international salaries, a world-class infrastructure, a dedicated international senior management and academic team, excellent benefits, and support for junior and mid-career faculty with a diverse range of exciting, cross-disciplinary research projects.
Through excellence in academics, research, and innovation, the College of Engineering and Computer Science (CECS) aims to create a generation of young leaders with the qualities, skills, and knowledge needed to lead the development of science and technology, to increase productivity, and bring about radical innovations for the benefit of society.
With a curriculum certified by VinUniversity’s founding partner Cornell University, advanced infrastructure, and modern pedagogical approaches, CECS offers Bachelor of Science degree programs in three majors: Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Computer Science. In addition, CECS will offer graduate programs in the fall semester of the academic year 2021-2022:
- A Master in Innovations in AI
- A PhD program in Computer Science
PhD programs in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering are planned in the year 2022-2023.
All faculty members are provided with an annual personal development fund for scholarly activities such as attending conferences, hiring research assistants, and buying research equipment. Faculty members can also apply for internal seed grants and have numerous opportunities to collaborate with researchers and engineers from the Vingroup ecosystem, such as VinBigData, VinAI, VinBrain, VinMec, VinHomes, Vincom Retail, VinPearl, VinSmart, VinFast, and Vin Energy Systems. These connections are an excellent source of large, real-world data sets as well as applied problems.
Research at CECS is being built on international collaborations and is geared towards addressing three main global challenges in a local context, in the areas of health, energy, and artificial intelligence. The Smart Health Center is a large $13.5M project in partnership with the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign that focuses on the challenges and opportunities in modern healthcare systems, including big data analytics, medical image processing, 3D printing for biomedical, security, privacy protection, and others. We plan to develop similar well-funded, international, large research projects in
- Materials science, including polymers and organic solids, metal-organic frameworks, digital materials science
- Low-resource, robust, multi-language natural language processing and applications in science, tourism, health, education, and digital humanities
- Smart energy, smart cities, sustainability, resilience and disaster mitigation, and climate change
For more information, please visit the CECS website: https://vinuni.edu.vn/college-of-engineering-computer-science/
The College of Engineering and Computer Science at VinUniversity is recruiting a faculty member in the following field, track and ranks:
- Field: Mathematics (in Applied Mathematics/Data Science)
- Track: Research and Teaching
- Ranks: Professor/Associate Professor/Assistant Professor
- Area of interest: Optimization/Cryptography/Blockchain/Information Science
All qualified applicants will receive full consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status.
The CECS faculty members will be responsible for three primary responsibilities:
- Teaching: Develop and instruct classes, provide academic advising, and participate in developing the programs and curriculum that meet the ABET’s quality standards.
- Research: Supervise student research, perform original research, and publish scientific findings in top venues with high citations.
- Service: Assisting with recruitment, admission, service to the university, profession, and community.
The workload allocation will be based on faculty ranking and faculty track aligned with generally accepted international standards and practices at universities.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- Have a doctorate degree in related fields from established prestigious universities.
- Have a minimum of three years of relevant full-time teaching experience.
- Have a strong knowledge of the subject area combined with a broad subject background enabling contributions to teaching programs.
- Have good experience in experiential leaning methods such as TBL (Team-based Learning), PBL (Project-based Learning), ABL (Action-based Learning) and can successfully employ them in all courses.
- Have a strong record of research accomplishments or potential for future accomplishments.
- Have a high spirit and strong passion for education; demonstrate distinction and/or strong potential in research; Agile to embrace changes and take on new challenges; open-minded to new and different environments; team-player willing to contribute to organizational goals and initiatives
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
The salary and benefits are internationally competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply via https://apply.interfolio.com/100526 and submit (1) a cover letter, (2) a resume and (3) two recommendation letters. In doing so, remember the following:
- Indicate in your cover letter your teaching statement, research statement, and which field/rank/track you are applying for.
- Your resume should include a list of all courses you have taught with the teaching/student evaluation outcomes.
Consideration of candidates will occur on a rolling basis beginning February 2022 and will continue until the positions are filled. The desired start date is August 2022, subject to negotiation, to allow sufficient time for your course preparation for the upcoming fall semester.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Please note that only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
LIVING AND WORKING IN HANOI, VIETNAM
- Work permit: VinUniversity will assist in and provide advice for obtaining the necessary paperwork needed for employment in Vietnam (visa, work permit, insurance, etc.). However, it is your responsibility to ensure that you can satisfy all the paper requirements in a timely manner.
- According to Vietnamese Law, expatriates are required to submit all necessary documents for a work permit on the first day in Vietnam. For more information about the necessary documents, please refer to the information in this link.
- Living costs: Vietnam has a comparatively low cost of living and expatriates can live a very comfortable life here with a moderate expenditure.
VinUniversity (VinUni: https://vinuni.edu.vn/) is the first private, not-for-profit Vietnamese university established based on international standards. The university integrates the models of excellent international universities with the unique cultural and economic characteristics of Vietnam, to make a breakthrough in Vietnamese higher education and to become a world-class university.
VinUni has strategic collaborations with the world’s leading universities, including Cornell University and the University of Pennsylvania. These universities have become close advisors and crucial enablers in establishing the three colleges at VinUni: College of Business and Management, College of Engineering and Computer Science, and College of Health Sciences. Every aspect of the University: its curricula, research, faculty, student body, facilities, and campus life, is being developed to meet the highest standards set by the world’s leading accrediting and ranking organizations, such as ABET, AACSB, Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) and Times Higher Education (THE).
VinUni’s founding benefactor Vingroup is one of the biggest private conglomerates in Asia with the largest market capitalization value in Vietnam. As a multisector corporation, Vingroup focuses on three main areas: Technology; Industrials; and Property Services. VinUni is proud to be a part of the Vingroup ecosystem, giving its students opportunities to connect with several high quality research institutes (such as VinAI, VinBrain, and Vin BigData), pioneering industrial enterprises (such as VinSmart and VinFast), and leading Vietnamese companies (such as Vinpearl, Vincom Retail, Vinmec, and Vinhomes).