SECURITY OFFICER PART TIME
ARTURO VELASQUEZ INSTITUTE
Arturo Velasquez Institute is located on the southwest
side of Chicago. As a City College of Chicago, Daley College/ AVI
offers accessible and affordable opportunities for academic
advancement, career development, and personal
Protects and assists college
students, faculty, staff, and visitors during an assigned shift.
Protects all property of the college and reduces the risk of
liability to the college. Enforces state and municipal laws and the
rules of the Board of Trustees.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Qualifications - External
- Patrols and monitors assigned areas, including buildings, dock
areas and parking lots, maintaining a professional appearance at
- Protects and assists staff, students and visitors. Ensures only
authorized individuals with proper identification are allowed in
- Adheres to and enforces state and municipal laws and the rules
of the Board of Trustees.
- Ensures that all policies and procedures of the District are
followed by students, faculty, staff and authorized
- Applies force which is reasonable and necessary under the
circumstances to protect life and property in compliance with
federal and state statutes.
- Appears in court hearing related to campus incidents when
he/she has signed a complaint, is required as a witness, or is
served with a subpoena.
- Reports all incidents on incident report forms prior to
completion of shift and notifies supervisor of disturbances and/or
- Operates CCC vehicles for patrol and other assignments, at the
discretion of the supervisor.
- Enforces parking regulations.
- Responds to sick or injured persons and calls 911 when
required. Provides emergency services to their best ability to
prevent further harm or injury.
- Secures access to building and offices.
- Maintains proper maintenance and handling of security radios
- Adheres to CCC Customer Service Excellence standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action
Thank you for your interest in CCC!
- Must be an active or retired sworn officer, in good standing
with a law enforcement or corrections agency, with at least two
years of experience in a law enforcement capacity. Must have a
valid driver’s license, current CPR and/or first aid certification,
and hazardous material training.
- Completion of a high school diploma or the equivalent,
Associates degree or higher preferred. Knowledge of all relevant
state statutes and local ordinances.
- Ability to articulate verbally in a clear and distinct manner
during emergency and non-emergency situations.
- Ability to make accurate decisions based on observations and
- Must be able to work well with staff and students. Must be able
to handle situations with tact, diplomacy, and persuasiveness.
- Basic knowledge of personal computers and the applicable
software. Working knowledge of report writing and ability to learn
- Must be self-directed and able to prioritize assignments.
- Ability to regularly patrol the entire campus area on foot for
a full shift.
- Ability to run or jog for short periods during emergency and
- Ability to stand at an assigned post for an extended period of
- Ability to quickly climb and descend stairs to respond to
emergency and non-emergency situations.
- Ability to physically restrain and remove a person using
- Ability to bend, twist, stoop, kneel, crawl, and reach in all
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to operate all security-related equipment including
radios, surveillance cameras, telephones, computers, fire equipment
and 2-way radios.
- Ability to drive and operate CCC vehicles.
- Physical ability to perform CPR and first aid, including
operating AED equipment.
- Ability to perform job responsibilities in inclement