Instructional Designer (15393)
- American University
- District of Columbia, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Sep 16, 2022
Get to Know American University
At American University we value open and honest inquiry, servant leadership, and the affirmation of the human dignity of all. We envision a thriving AU community where individuals of all identities and experiences are understood, appreciated, and fully included, and where equitable treatment, opportunities, and outcomes prevail.
Our diverse community of students, faculty, and staff represent every state and more than 150 countries. Our internationally recognized faculty are today's thought leaders in the areas of public policy, law, the arts, communications, international development, and more. Our staff are innovative, service-oriented, and dedicated to moving the university towards achieving its strategic goals. We are committed to an excellent experience for all of our students, faculty and staff and share a passion for creating change through our knowledge and our work.
Learn more about American University by clicking here .
About the Department/Unit
Kogod Instructional Services at American University empowers faculty members to design and deliver quality courses. The skills of our team and our values for innovation, collaboration, and diversity drive our success. Providing quality service, creativity, and resourcefulness are core to who we are
The Instructional Designer will work on projects for The Kogod School of Business’ in-house and partnered programs through all modalities and program offerings at the undergraduate and graduate levels. The Instructional Designer will consult and collaborate with faculty and other stakeholders - using available technologies and systems to develop dynamic, pedagogically-sound, and technologically-appropriate learning experience . Responsibilities include providing one-on-one consultations with faculty, supporting Kogod workshops, researching and promoting emerging pedagogical innovations and technologies. To do this, a solid understanding of the principles of instructional theory; the ability to identify and test existing and emerging technologies and appropriately apply them to meet the intended learning objectives. The Instructional Designer must be able to effectively convey to faculty the advantages and disadvantages of various pedagogical techniques.
- Work with and support faculty to design effective pedagogically sound online, hybrid, and hyflex courses. This could include supporting new course design, minor or major course revisions of an existing online, hybrid and hyflex courses.
- Perform course updates in AU’s Learning Management System. Assist with the set-up, maintenance, organization and revisions to course-related content.
- Provide one-on-one and group consultations with faculty and facilitate or support workshops to assist faculty in all aspects of teaching including, but not limited to, syllabus development, aligning learning outcomes with assessments, using third party tools, and incorporating innovative and evidence-based pedagogies.
- In partnership with 2U, attend course strategy and development meetings to support faculty with the development or revision of courses in online programs. Assist in developing syllabi, assessment, and evaluation options.
- Promote inclusive pedagogy and universal design in learning. Provide orientation, training, and support to faculty, and other course authors, who are new to online/hybrid course development and delivery.
- Input and track your projects in Microsoft Planner and keep all of the documents current.
- Stay current with recent research, trends, and advancements in pedagogy, educational technologies, and other issues related to the design and implementation of online/hybrid courses through reading articles, researching information, participating in seminars, conferences, and then recommend and work with faculty, and other course authors, in adopting and implementing current strategies and technologies related to online/hybrid delivery. Maintains functional competency with media design and creation skills, LMS tools, and associated educational technologies to perform assigned duties.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full Time - 35 hours/week.
- Sr. Coordinator/Analyst B
- This is a union-eligible position.
- Working knowledge of instructional design, course development, and technology associated with creating online and blended learning solutions as demonstrated through at least 2 years of experience executing the full life cycle of the instructional systems design (ISD) process including developing linear and non-linear technology-based storyboards for programmers/web developers, including graphics concepts, audio scripts, user interactions, navigation, and other related elements.
- 3-5 years of relevant experience
- Master's degree or an equivalent program of study in Learning Design, Instructional Systems, Educational Psychology or closely related field.
- In-depth knowledge of learning theories and instructional design models to apply trends and best practices in instructional design.
- Ability to develop instructional content compliant with Shareable Content Object Reference Model (SCORM) and Section 508 Accessibility requirements.
- Basic knowledge of HTML, CSS and visual design skills (Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat); visualizing instructional graphics, the user interface, and the finished product.
- Skill using computer programs in the development of training curriculum including word processing, presentation software and learning platform technologies (for example Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Connect Pro, Photoshop, Camtasia, Articulate, and Captivate).
- Technical writing and storyboarding skills; the ability to write effective instructional text, audio, and video scripts.
- Demonstration of highly effective skills in verbal and written communication.
- Ability to build relationships and trust.
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful completion of a background check.
- To ensure the health and safety of our community AU requires COVID-19 vaccinations for faculty and staff. Click here to learn more about our health and safety directive.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. The omission of specific duties from this list does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties logically related to the position.
AU offers a competitive benefits package including a 200% matching retirement plan, tuition benefits for full-time staff and their families, several leadership development certificates, and has been recognized by the American Heart Association as a fit-friendly worksite.Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options .
This position is part of a collective bargaining unit represented by SEIU Local 500. That means the terms and conditions of your employment are governed by university policy (including the Staff Personnel Policies Manual) and any collective bargaining agreement entered into between American University and SEIU Local 500.
Current American University Employees
If you are a current employee at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert