Sustainability and Resource Development Office
AmIU- Nairobi Campus
Amref International University's focus is on training, research and extension in health sciences with emphasis on promotive, preventive, rehabilitative and palliative health. AMIU is founded on the experience and intellect of Amref Health Africa, which is reputed with over 60 years of quality and innovative public and community health interventions, training and education. It is committed to progressively develop innovative programmes catering to the present as well as future Africa and global health needs. The University offers postgraduate, undergraduate, higher diploma, diploma·, certificate programmes as well as Continuing Professional Development (CPD) courses that prepare human resource for health to serve throughout the health system. AmIU seeks to train transformation leaders who will Inspire Lasting Change. For more on Amref International University please visit https://amref.ac.ke
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
The primary purpose of this position is to increase the University’s capacity to fulfil its educational mission through strategic donor relations and partnerships that result in new funds and sources of funds. The Advancement Officer is accountable to the Vice Chancellor for executing fundraising strategy and overseeing alumni relations. The primary accountability of this position is to implement fundraising strategies to raise funds from individuals, the private and voluntary/non-profit sectors. Primary responsibilities include prospect identification, evaluation, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of corporate, foundation and individual donors.
This role works closely with the Amref Health Africa Partnerships, Fundraising and Communications offices to establish funding relationships and secure resources that support the school’s mission and long-term strategic goals.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain a very good working knowledge of AmIU activities, priorities, and needs in both teaching, research, and student success.
- Propose fundraising strategies to the Vice Chancellor for priority prospects that may include corporations, foundations, individuals, and alumni.
- Plan, develop, and evaluate a strategy for an effective Annual Fund program in coordination with the Alumni and Vice Chancellor office.
- The identification of prospects from among alumni, corporations, foundations, and other individuals; the evaluation and prioritization of prospects; clearance to approach prospects, where necessary; and the engagement of prospects in the mission and programs of AmIU.
- The development of committed donor relationships among cultivated prospects; administration of donor agreements and pledges as necessary and documentation of same.
- The development and execution of donor stewardship plans.
- Elicit the voluntary commitment of members of AmIU faculty, staff, students, and alumni in assisting with fundraising activities.
- Create fundraising materials suitable for presentation to prospective donors, including obtaining technical content from staff and faculty as necessary and ensuring materials are complementary to AmIU visual identity and brand.
- Propose, recommend, and/or advise on project or program ideas that are both tailored to the specific interests of corporations, foundations, individuals, and associations and to AmIU mission.
- Recommend and manage agreed stewardship plans and appropriate recognition of gifts for select major donors.
- Master’s degree in Administration, Public Relations, Marketing, Communication or related field;
- Bachelor’s degree in Administration, Public Relations, Communication or related field.
- Over five (5) years’ relevant experience with over five (5) years in a management role.
- Proven experience with fundraising and partnership management.
- Understanding of university fundraising
- Familiarity with fundraising in the higher education sector and university administration
Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of fundraising principles and practices, including campaign experience.
- Demonstrated ability to implement fundraising principles to raise significant funds from individuals, corporations, and foundations and to steward and recognize donors.
- Very good knowledge of Microsoft Office Skills, including Excel.
- Demonstrated Alumni Relations experience or equivalent.
- Excellent communications skills in writing, presentations, and conversation.
- Team oriented with ability to build and lead teams
- Ability to drive a culture of commitment, innovation and engagement
- Commitment to the University’s mission and ethos
- Possess vision, energy and passion
- Personal commitment to diversity and equality.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
How to apply
Please visit our Careers Page https://amref.ac.ke/careers/ to view the full job description. Your email application should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and have “Advancement Officer” in the subject line. Attach a cover letter and CV relevant skills and experience. Deadline for submission: 30th October 2022 and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Although Amref International University may use different job boards from time to time to further spread its reach for applicants, all open vacancies are published on our website under the Vacancies page and on our official social media pages. Kindly also note that official emails from AmIU will arrive from an @amref.ac.ke or @amref.org address.
Amref International University is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment. Amref International University is an equal opportunity employer and has a non-smoking environment policy