Accounting Data Specialist
Athens State University
Accounting Data Specialist is responsible performing accounts
payable and basic accounting duties associated with the daily
activities of the Business Office as needed to assure the financial
operations function in an efficient, orderly, and lawful
- Responsible for the issuance of purchase orders after proper
- Responsible for auditing vendor invoices to ensure accuracy and
that proper approval procedures are followed.
- Responsible for ensuring proper documentation for Vendor
Disclosure Statements for applicable purchase orders over
- Responsible for maintaining vendors in Banner to ensure
- Assist with purchasing and accounting reporting matters as
- Assist with the preparation and maintenance of bid files.
- Help prepare materials for and serve as the record keeper for
the Budget Advisory Committee and the Board of Trustees Finance and
- Relieve Vice President and Assistant Vice President of
Financial Affairs of detail responsibilities.
- Create and modify documents using established software.
- Responsible for routine correspondence including letters,
memoranda, and reports as directed by the Vice President.
- Maintain hard copy and electronic files of all
- Manage incoming and outgoing mail and maintain a record of all
funds received on a daily basis.
- Distributes incoming mail for Financial Affairs to appropriate
- Arrange appointment to maximize time efficiency; allow decision
making time when possible.
- Complies with all policies of the University.
- Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability to changing work
scope and tasks based on need.
- Proactively engages in problem solving related to tasks in this
position with internal and external people.
- Actively works towards building cooperative and collaborative
relationships with peers and internal faculty and staff.
- Maintains “open door” to internal and external customers.
- Identifies opportunities for improvements to work practices and
offers viable solutions
- Routinely practices self-monitoring by assessing self to make
improvements or take corrective action to improve performance.
- Completes other tasks as assigned.
- Associate’s Degree, or equivalent (60 semester hours) in
Business or Accounting from a regionally accredited institution
preferred. Applicable governmental accounting
experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills.
- Proficient use of the Microsoft Office Suite, including Word,
Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with
students, faculty, staff and outside customers.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Experience using Banner.
Salary Band: P120To view salary schedules, visit:
Salary will be commensurate with experience and
Special Instructions to Applicants
Unofficial transcripts should be from the college or university
which verifies minimum qualifications for the position. Upon an
offer of employment, official transcripts from all colleges and
universities attended must be submitted. Continued employment is
contingent upon receipt of transcripts from all colleges and
Please provide contact information for three professional
references on your application.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and
apply on line at the following link: https://jobs.athens.edu/postings/search
About Athens State University
Located in historic Athens, Alabama, Athens State University offers
junior and senior-level coursework to community college graduates
and transfer students holding sufficient credits from other
institutions. Presently, over 3,100 students have selected Athens
State because of its neighborly environment where 50 majors and
degree programs are offered, with courses taught by a supportive
and exceptional faculty. Approximately 80% of the students are
enrolled in at least one online course. The typical student is a
working adult who commutes. Recently, the University was featured
in the 2015 Best Value Online College Rankings by OnlineU.org for
four online programs including computer science, accounting,
education and human resources. The University offers undergraduate
degree programs in Liberal Arts, Teacher Preparation, and Business.
The University employs more than 350 full and part-time employees
with approximately 90 full-time faculty members in three colleges:
College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business, and College of
Education. Seventy-five percent of the full-time faculty members
hold a terminal degree. The University is accredited by the
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on
Athens, Alabama is located in north Alabama equidistant between
Nashville, TN and Birmingham, AL. Athens is home to several events
and festivals that have been featured as the Southeast Tourism
Society’s “Top 20 Events in the Southeast” including the Athens
Storytelling Festival and the Tennessee Valley Old Time Fiddlers
In accordance with Athens State University Policy and guidelines,
the applicant chosen for employment will be required to sign a
consent form for a criminal background check. Employment will be
contingent upon the receipt of a clearance notification from that
criminal background check.
Non-Discrimination Policy Statement Athens State University, as
an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution, complies with
all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination
and affirmative action. Athens State University does not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age,
marital status, gender, gender identity, gender expression,
pregnancy, sexual orientation, disability, religion, genetic
information, or veteran status in employment, or admissions to or
participation in educational programs and activities. Inquiries or
concerns may be addressed to the Office of the Vice President of
Enrollment and Student Support Services, 300 N. Beaty St., Athens,
AL 35611, 256- 233-8175.